NetTalk Central

Author Topic: Next button breaks browse  (Read 2264 times)

Matthew51

• View Profile
    • Email
Next button breaks browse
« on: September 21, 2021, 01:43:41 PM »
Clarion 11
NT 12.19
MS SQL 2014 Standard

I have one browse in my app where hitting the next button will cause it to display the no records message, even though their are records it should be displaying. In the past this only happened occasionally, but now it's 100% of the time for this one browse. Most frustrating is this is only happening on our productions server. If I set up a test server using the exact same binaries and a backup of the production database everything works fine.

Any ideas as to what I should check would help a lot.

Thank You
Matthew
Contractor with 10+ years of NetTalk experience looking for work.
www.linkedin.com/in/matthew-leavitt
BisWare.ca
Check out my free EasyTime Template

Matthew51

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Next button breaks browse
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2021, 10:27:23 PM »
Well, now it's working again. I dropped in new binaries that had a table added to the dictionary (not referenced in the app) and had the debugview options enabled for the browse, and it worked fine. I disabled the debugview options and it still worked.

I have no idea why it suddenly broke, or suddenly fixed, and that's the frustrating part.
BisWare.ca

osquiabro

• View Profile
    • Email

Bruce

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2021, 09:56:08 PM »
update to 12.26

Matthew51

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2021, 12:50:36 PM »
Ok this isn't fixed, it just takes a while to stop working after the server is restarted. How long isn't consistent. The first two times took about 20 min, the 3rd took several hours. I ended up going to bed with it still working at 4am after running for 2 hours, and it was broken by 10 AM. I'm going to put in a new version tonight with a lot of debugs and see if I can learn anything.

I don't know what would make it stop working after a while as the browse doesn't access global data (unless the template does), and the problem exists on new sessions.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2021, 12:52:36 PM by Matthew51 »
BisWare.ca

Jane

• Expert on nothing with opinions on everything.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2021, 01:43:13 PM »
I had a similar problem with SQL of "no records" with the Next button.  But mine was tied to a problem with the sort order.

That is what was fixed in 12.26.

To see if your problem is related, you might want to debug output loc:vordernumber at various places.  Debugging during a webinar, Bruce found that loc:vordernumber was (incorrectly) 0 at the start of the SetVorder routine when the problem occurred.  With a SQL backend that resulted in the "no records" result.

In addition, marking the "Send Filter, Order to DebugView" template checkbox for the browse may be informative.

jf

Matthew51

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2021, 02:59:06 PM »
I forgot to mention I updated to 12.26 and the problem is persisting. I don't think it's the same problem as it happens with no sort order (record order), which is what most users use.

I'll add loc:vordernumber to the list of debug messages though. Most of my messages are focusing on LastValue and ResetPosition() as I suspect that is getting messed up somehow.
BisWare.ca

Jane

• Expert on nothing with opinions on everything.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2021, 03:10:11 PM »
FWIW, my problem didn't happen when *I* set a sort order.

Rather, when a user clicked a column header to sort the browse by that column.  After that, all was bolluxed.

Matthew51

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2021, 02:43:55 PM »
As far as I can tell loc:vordernumber and LastValue both keep the correct data. Then the template tries to loop through the records after ResetPosition() it gets a "Record Not Available" on the first record.

Out of frustration I set the Loading Method to File instead of page for the weekend. Turns out most of my customers like it better that way anyway. So unless we get a way to change the loading method at run time I'm going to accept the workaround as a permanent solution.

I may have a related bug, but I'll make a new thread for that one when I get more information.
BisWare.ca