NetTalk Central

Author Topic: SSL Private key  (Read 3143 times)

Stan

• View Profile
SSL Private key
« on: July 16, 2007, 09:32:29 PM »
I am a Calrion programmer and not a Network Admin/Web Admin. Have a NetTalk webserver that works fine with demo cetificate and key from Example(6). Network Admin (not me) is having problem with certificate (we have one from VeriSign, still good until April next year), or more correctly maybe we need a private key.  Is a private key required?  Does it have to match (or be compatible with) certificate from VeriSign? Can see nothing in docs about private key (except one line in "Give it a Try" section).

Right now the Admin replaced certificate (renamed it same as one in Sample app) but Webserver does not work with it. Any ideas/suggestions I can pass along to him (I just want it up and running again <g>).

Cheers,
Stan

Bruce

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: SSL Private key
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2007, 10:39:33 PM »
Hi Stan,

The secret is sometimes in the "contents" of the key file. Keys come in various flavors, and can contain multiple parts.

Use notepad to open the one that works, and see what's inside.

Then use notepad to see if you can find the same sections in the other key.

Just changing the file extension isn't the right thing to do, often you have to "extract" one bit from inside the supplied key. It's all text though so you should be able to follow what I mean.

Cheers
Bruce