NetTalk Central

Author Topic: Twilio Webhook for Receiving SMS?  (Read 3214 times)

jslarve

• View Profile
    • Email
Twilio Webhook for Receiving SMS?
« on: May 22, 2020, 08:01:58 PM »
I'm interested in receiving SMS messages from Twilio.

Wondering if anyone has done this in NetTalk. There's this CSharp example. Looks pretty straightforward, but if anyone has already done this, I'd love to hear whatever advice you might have. https://www.twilio.com/docs/sms/tutorials/how-to-receive-and-reply-csharp

My intent is to display a QR code that I generate, which initiates an SMS message that gets sent to my Twilio number that my web app then receives.

Thank you.

bshields

• View Profile
    • Inhabit
    • Email
Re: Twilio Webhook for Receiving SMS?
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2020, 11:02:17 PM »
Hi,

I've done Twilio Verify and Twilio Chat, but not SMS. We use other suppliers for SMS.

I usually read their code examples to try and distil it down to what is required from a RAW API call point of view, many of the examples for other languages assume a library they supply that does much of the work, and we don't get that.

Regards
Bill

jslarve

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2020, 11:16:00 PM »
Thanks Bill.

Who are you using for SMS and do you like them? :)

I'm not married to Twilio. Haven't created an account yet.

Thanks again.

Bruce

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2020, 12:18:06 AM »
Hi Jeff,

yeah, I did it for sms.capesoft.com
It's not terribly exciting - Twilio calls your web hook, which is jsut a NetWebServieMethod, and you can then process that like any other method.

I went a step further - the sms.capesoft.com server then has WebSockets connections from the clients. So if a client program sends an SMS, and that SMS gets a reply, then it's automatically pushed back into the client program, in real-time, even if the client program is behind a firewall.

If you're not too worried about doing it yourself, I can hook you up with a beta account on sms.capesoft.com to play with.

cheers
Bruce

Alberto

• MSN Messenger - alberto-michelis@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • ARMi software solutions
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2020, 01:55:40 AM »
Hi Bruce, I want to play with sms.capesoft.com ! may you... please?

By the way...Documentation for this can be found at http://www.capesoft.com/docs/NetTalk10/NetTalkSms.Htm gives a 404 error
-----------
Regards
Alberto

jslarve

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2020, 07:38:45 AM »
Hi Bruce -

Sounds interesting. Does sms.capesoft.com also use Twilio or does it do the SMS stuff internally?

I would be interested in a beta account if you wouldn't mind. By "beta", does that mean you intend to make this a commercial product out of it some day?

Thank you.

Hi Jeff,

yeah, I did it for sms.capesoft.com
It's not terribly exciting - Twilio calls your web hook, which is jsut a NetWebServieMethod, and you can then process that like any other method.

I went a step further - the sms.capesoft.com server then has WebSockets connections from the clients. So if a client program sends an SMS, and that SMS gets a reply, then it's automatically pushed back into the client program, in real-time, even if the client program is behind a firewall.

If you're not too worried about doing it yourself, I can hook you up with a beta account on sms.capesoft.com to play with.

cheers
Bruce

bshields

• View Profile
    • Inhabit
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2020, 03:03:23 PM »
Hi Jeff,

SMS providers are a dim a dozen. We support about 6 (mostly domestic Australian providers) and let our clients choose which one they want to use. Twilio is good for international SMS, in situations where the bulk of your SMS could end up in any country. As they claim a higher percent of delivery for some of the more difficult countries compared with local providers (this probably matter more Outside the US).

Regards
Bill