NetTalk Central

Author Topic: IIS not playing nice with NTWS?  (Read 5422 times)

astahl

• View Profile
    • Email
IIS not playing nice with NTWS?
« on: November 19, 2014, 08:17:03 AM »
Hi,

I have a NTWS on our web server which also has IIS running other websites for us. Under the wwwroot folder they have a folder named mywebsite and in that folder is an index.html redirect page, that redirects it to https:mywebsite.com:88. Our customers cannot use the website because IT only has port 80 and port 443 open. I need to have our NTWS listen to port 80 and redirect to port 443.

IIS wants to control all IP's so how can one stop IIS from interfering.

Ashley

peterH

• View Profile
Re: IIS not playing nice with NTWS?
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2014, 08:27:57 AM »
Hi Ashley,
Once IIS is started and listens on port 80 you don't have a chance to get your NTWS listening on port 80 as well - that's not how it works.

Your best chance may be to get a second ip and bind your NTWS to that address. Maybe somebody else has a better idea.

Peter

astahl

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2014, 09:07:30 AM »
Hi Peter,

When www.mywebsite.com hits the firewall it is directed to an internal ip address with ports 80, 88, and 443 open.

IIS wants to control all IP addresses. I am going to delete the entry in IIS to see if that helps.

Well this is the error I get on my browser

The connection was reset

The connection to the server was reset while the page was loading.

The site could be temporarily unavailable or too busy. Try again in a few moments.
    If you are unable to load any pages, check your computer's network connection.
    If your computer or network is protected by a firewall or proxy, make sure that Firefox is permitted to access the Web.

This really is stopping my NTWS app from being used without a lot of intervention with our customers!

Ashley
« Last Edit: November 19, 2014, 09:29:35 AM by astahl »

astahl

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2014, 09:47:50 AM »
Hi All,

Is there anyone in NetTalk land running a web app using port 80 or 443 on a machine that has IIS running other websites and is successfully using the app?

Ashley

Bruce

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2014, 12:20:58 AM »
Hi Ashley,

You need to understand what is happening and then work inside those rules.

a) Programs (like NetTalk, or IIS) can "listen on all IP addresses" or they can be set to listen only on a single address. (Webserver, advanced tab). (Machines can obviously be allocated multiple IP addresses).

b) Programs can listen on a port.

c) Only one program can listen to a specific IP:port combination. If you want multiple programs to be listening then either the port number or Ip address has to be unique.

The above are absolutes - each program needs a unique IP/Port combination, which no other program is using.

Your situation on a LAN bears some examination. As you said;

>> When www.mywebsite.com hits the firewall it is directed to an internal ip address

So clearly if you want to allow external access to a server on the Lan then you need to deal with the router. There are many different routers, and some are "smarter" or "dumber".

Ideally you can get 2 different IP addresses allocated to the incoming connection- and using this the router can tell the traffic apart.

Alternatively you need to open another incoming port (to share the same IP).

Some (very few) firewall/routers allow for inspection of the header to see where the packet is going, and can route based on that, but that's unusual.

cheers
Bruce

astahl

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2014, 04:50:04 AM »
Hi Bruce,

I understand what you are saying, So it begs the question, how does one stop IIS from listening to a specific IP:Port combination? I have my NTWS(Bind Server to IP) listening to a specific internal ip address set on the firewall. I want my NT server to listen on port 80 and then redirect to port 443 see(webserver, security tab).

Ashley

Bruce

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2014, 06:12:14 AM »
>> how does one stop IIS from listening to a specific IP:Port combination

I guess that's better phrased as

>> how does one stop IIS from listening to a specific IP address

but alas, I don't know. I'm not an IIS man myself, but presumably if you google around for binding IIS to a single IP address you should find out how.

Cheers
Bruce

urayoan

• View Profile
    • AZ Rock Radio
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2014, 06:28:18 AM »
Ashely, i hope this helps.

In the Internet Information Services (IIS) Manager found in Administrative tools follow this steps. Remember to restart IIS Server. This is how you setup IIS to bind the ip port combination to whatever you want (even change the default ports 80 and 443 to something else)

[attachment deleted by admin]