NetTalk Central

Author Topic: For Brian : Application gone mad  (Read 2517 times)

Bruce

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
For Brian : Application gone mad
« on: August 05, 2014, 09:46:34 PM »
I have followed your multiple threads with interest Brian, but unfortunately you seem to be floundering under loads of good advice, but not necessarily following each thought through to it's conclusion.

First, I think you need to isolate any specific problems that you have, and then tackle them one at a time until they are correctly solved. The root of a problem can be far from the visible symptom and hence one problem can manifest in multiple ways.

With regard to your filter problem -
as far as I can see you have not posted an example of debugview output which contains the filter, where you feel the wrong filter is being applied.

I suggest we start there.

Cheers
Bruce

broche

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: For Brian : Application gone mad
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2014, 06:16:53 PM »
Thanks Bruce,

Took a step back as advised and more logical approach.
I started with the login process and am making sure that I have not done any stupid stuff during that process.  It has tended to grow as I learned things and got a little out of hand.

The approach I am taking is to create a new application starting with the login form.  Then rebuild the menu and import each browse and form, testing each one as I go for filters etc.  This seems to be working well as I am not having any login errors and I am finding some silly stuff I did on those forms and browses.

Nice thing in Nettalk is that importing from another app is easy as there are few or no added in templates which can make this very difficult.

I have been running debugview as I go and so far all the filters are being picked up correctly.  I should have it all done by tomorrow night.

Looking forward to the Webinar tomorrow.

Thanks again,

Brian.
Brian

broche

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2014, 12:38:06 PM »
Finished creating the new application.
It was a good exercise as it forced me to exam each procedure as it came in and look at the filters etc. Found a few that looked odd.
It is running very well on my development PC - Now to test on the remote server and see if it behaves itself properly.

Brian.
Brian

broche

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2014, 07:01:50 AM »
Hi All,

An update on the issues:

I created a new base application
Used a very standard login form with no fancy stuff at all
Tested logins using the remote server and all seems well
Added Session Variables and broke them up into routines
Added the browses and forms one at a time and made sure the filters worked OK
Used <39> instead of ' in all filters
Created a login table to track who has logged in when and that the login was successfull and all the session variables got set

So far all seems to be working well under IE, Chrome, Firefox
I think the root issues were in the login code, it got a little out of hand as I added new checks, mea culpa.

Thanks for all the help

Brian.
Brian