NetTalk Central

Author Topic: How many using C9 now?  (Read 1969 times)

Devan

• View Profile
    • Email
How many using C9 now?
« on: February 25, 2014, 05:02:12 PM »
Hey all - This is off topic I know, but I was wondering how many NetTalkers have moved up and are using C9.x for production code?

I am still on 8.0.9759 but am on the CSP and have C9 as well - just haven't bothered to upgrade all my myriad of 3rd party libraries etc. up to C9 to begin using it properly.  Been really happy with the stability of C8, so was wondering if there was any compelling reasons to step up to 9?

At this point in time, our app development word is around 60% NetTalk webapp projects and 40% Windows native projects.  All straight up Clarion, not Clarion.NET.

What are others using?  I'd be interested to hear if anyone is still on C7 or C6 even...

Bruce

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: How many using C9 now?
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2014, 06:59:33 PM »
I'm on C9 and have been for some time now. Lots of nice little tweaks from C8. I'm doing examples in C8 now and there are a few hints I miss.  The ones that spring to mind are

A) ability to set fonts in IDE specifically to make them bigger. Sounds trivial, but really isn't.

B) open-file doesn't need you to navigate to the correct directory. Just type the file name. The RED system finds it for you. So let's say you want to examine some code in netweb.clw, in C8 you need to know where it is,  C9 you just type netwe.clw into the open file dialog.

C) new search option allows you to search the files in the same directory as the open file. Or search based on the RED. Very useful.

There are a lot more, but you can really only articulate them when you go back and they're not there're anymore.

In short, think of C7 as a typical version 1.0, which makes C8 version 2. Good but not perfect. C9 is version 3 which adds a lot of polish ( and 3.1 is coming any day now.

Cheers
Bruce

tglomb

• View Profile
    • AObit Software
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2014, 02:06:04 AM »
I'm a typical early adopter. I used C90 shortly after it was released for production and never looked back. Very productive and stable the IDE, rock solid the runtime (my Apps are running 24x7 in a medical Environment, some in emergency rooms). I'm now waiting eagerly for the Version -as Bruce counted- 3.1 ;-) but only regarding the awesome new features.

Nick

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2014, 04:07:02 AM »
Skipped C7 and C8 now using C9 mainly for NT app's.
C6.3 for some existing large apps. Custom work.

Nick