NetTalk Central

Author Topic: MOdifying StyleS  (Read 15395 times)

Nick LeForte

• Vancouver - Canada
    • View Profile
    • Email
MOdifying StyleS
« on: June 23, 2007, 04:31:07 PM »
Hi,
WHAT METHOds or software do you recommend  to modify the style sheets for the web server css files?  What files and  sections for what areas and controls do I modify? Is there some docs on this?
I'd like to change the look to suit our Sharepoint site.
TIA
Nick
Regards,
Nick LeForte

Gregg Matteson

• View Profile
    • Custom Program Solutions
Re: MOdifying StyleS
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2007, 05:18:38 PM »
Nick,

Have only experimented with this a bit.

I use Dreamweaver CS3 but for $20 try
http://www.blumentals.net/rapidcss/

also a good investment is at:
http://www.lynda.com/  look at the subject CSS . Very thorough instruction. Worth every bit of the $25 per month . Stop it at any time.

While the browser has one of your web server pages up, right click and view source. Print it out then open all.css in the /web/styles folder and have a look at items in the code referenced by class= . You'll begin to understand where you can change things. back up often! I would start with colors only, then go from there.

Kindest Regards,

Gregg Matteson

'Software that's actually easy to use'

John Hickey

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2007, 08:53:33 PM »
At the conference in Las Vegas, Bruce recommended not changing the all.css file because he will be making some changes to it in the future. 

He recommended creating a new style file (custom.css) and copying in the relevant sections from all.css and then changing their name. 

For example, the table.BrowseTable might become table.CustomBrowseTable (or whatever you wish to call it) in the custom.css file.  You then include the new css file in the Styles section under Settings in the NetTalk or NetSimple Object.

Bruce

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2007, 12:39:25 AM »
Hi Nick,

Further to what John said, if you haven't already check out FireBug (in firefox go to www.getfirebug.com and install firebug from there.)

This allows you to "inspect" your site at runtime, and make changes on the fly to the styles to see the effect. It doesn't save the style, but it's easy to move your changes back to the CSS when you're done.

I'm planning a doc on changing CSS in the not too distant future.

Cheers
Bruce

Nick LeForte

• Vancouver - Canada
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2007, 09:09:25 AM »
Thanks Bruce, I'm really looking forward to that, I'll keep a close eye on the posts here. :)
Regards,
Nick LeForte