NetTalk Central

Author Topic: Send Emails using TLS - the bare bones  (Read 2870 times)

Devan

• View Profile
    • Email
Send Emails using TLS - the bare bones
« on: March 12, 2013, 05:12:31 AM »
Hi all,

If an email transport service specifies that email needs to be sent using TLS, but they do not mention SSL, does this mean I can leave the SSL property at 0 and just set SecureEmailStartTLS = 1?

What are the 'bare bones' minimum settings that I will need to set in order to send via this service?  Do I need to set up all the SSLCertificateOptions properties as per the SSL example, or can I get away without doing so?

Note: The service is Amazon SES

Thanks!
Devan

Bruce

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Send Emails using TLS - the bare bones
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2013, 06:00:47 AM »
TLS is really SSL - sort of like an SSL ver 3.1. There are semantic differences but the use of the phrase "SSL" and "TLS" are really close together.

>> If an email transport service specifies that email needs to be sent using TLS, but they do not mention SSL, does this mean I can leave the SSL property at 0 and just set SecureEmailStartTLS = 1?

don't know - depends on the server you are talking to I guess. Best way to know is to try.

>> What are the 'bare bones' minimum settings that I will need to set in order to send via this service?  Do I need to set up all the SSLCertificateOptions properties as per the SSL example, or can I get away without doing so?

depends how closely the server conforms to the default values (whatever they are) for those properties. Again, best way to know is to try.

cheers
Bruce