NetTalk Central

Author Topic: Connection was closed because it was idle (inactive)  (Read 56965 times)

Rhys Daniell

• View Profile
Connection was closed because it was idle (inactive)
« on: June 29, 2011, 04:29:50 PM »
Clarion 6.3, NetTalk 4.3

We have a very simple application which periodically checks for emails to send and receive.

It consistently gets the above message when sending a test group of 3 emails. The error only occurs on one of the emails (usually, but not always, the first).

AsyncOpenTimeout = 1000 and InactiveTimeout = 6000

It seems as though we need to reinitialise the SimpleObject before attempting to send email, but calling .Init() before sending gives a general object error.

We use NetTalk in very similar circumstances in other applications without the same error.

Any idea what's going on? Ominously, I see a similar post in the FTP forum has had 251 views and no replies, so this may not be uncommon.

Bruce

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Connection was closed because it was idle (inactive)
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2011, 06:28:14 AM »
I've seen this in cases where the server is expecting something, but the client gives it something else, at which point they both sit there waiting for the other to speak until one times out.

The easiest way to diagnose the problem is to use the Email Send window in the netDemo program. Usually the server is requiring some authentication to be set perhaps (userauth and userpass properties) but it might be something else. Nice thing with email is that the log (on the logging tab) is very human-readable.

Feel free to paste the log here if you're not sure.

cheers
Bruce

Rhys Daniell

• View Profile
Re: Connection was closed because it was idle (inactive)
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2011, 04:07:28 PM »
Thanks Bruce - the upgrade to 4.57 seems to have cleaned this up, if it persists I'll come back here.