NetTalk Central

Author Topic: How I put my page on the main web portals (google, bing, yahoo.)  (Read 3870 times)

jorgemir

• View Profile
    • Email
How I put my page on the main web portals (google, bing, yahoo.)
« on: February 21, 2011, 01:10:43 PM »
Hi. I want my page to appears onto main web portals like Google, yahoo and so on. How I can tell this pages to take my info? thanks
Jorge

Bruce

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: How I put my page on the main web portals (google, bing, yahoo.)
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2011, 02:33:02 AM »
I guess that's really a question for google etc.

However a good way to get the search engine to "notice" you is to be linked from other sites.
So if you have a normal web site, then put a link to your app on it.

Beware of "link farms" though - sites which will link to anyone. Google knows about those and penalizes you for that.

If you're serious about using search engines to drive traffic to your site, then grab a book or three on that.

Cheers
Bruce

jorgemir

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2011, 02:57:50 AM »
Hi Bruce.
I'm aware of what you say. What I'm really interested is the way to get robots to see into my page and grab the info. Being NTWS server a "get" and "post" protocol engine, if a robot wants to get the metadata for its work, I see no way for it to capture the words, metadata and so on. As my page is not static, a robot should talk to it and get all the info in a dinamic way. Or there is another way that I don't know?
If this is true, then I see no other way than build static pages and stick browse, forms and so on onto it. And it is very important to me to get the presence on the net.
Thanks
Jorge

Bruce

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2011, 07:02:15 AM »
When the robot browses your site, it has no idea if the pages are static or dynamic. They're just pages.
Which means this statement;

>> "...then I see no other way than build static pages and stick browse, forms and so on onto it."

has absolutely no merit. Your browses and forms are already linked from your menu, which is on your home page, so the search engine will crawl that just fine.

the robot will do all the "gets" but not do any "posts" - so it will go to all your menu items, but it won't press any next buttons etc.

One approach is to make sure you can "see" the whole site via "gets". So, for example, you might have a dynamic page size - and when the p_web.spider property is set to 1, make the page size really large (50000).

for example;
Records per page: 10 + p_web.spider * 50000

the crawler won't and probably shouldn't, go to any of your forms - however if you want it to go to a form, make sure at least one field in the browse is "clickable" going to the form update.

Cheers
Bruce

jorgemir

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2011, 09:46:52 AM »
Super.
I did not know p_web.spider property. Is there any way to get all methods and propertys other than decripting the .clw netweb file?
There are so many ways to do things, but without a well designed capesoft's excelents manual it is like driving dark night-nolights-snowing-road.
Thanks Bruce
Jorge

Bruce

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2011, 12:42:03 AM »
Spider is just one of the many interesting items mentioned in the "Building Web Applications" book.

There is, as yet though, no complete class reference for all the properties and methods.

Cheers
Bruce

bshields

• View Profile
    • Inhabit
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2011, 04:16:30 PM »
Hi Jorge,

All that Bruce says is spot on.

Here is a little more (that you'll read in the SEO books).

If you haven't, create yourself webmaster accounts with google, bing, yahoo.

1. They allow you to submit your site for crawling, yes the search engines are meant to find you themselves but this can take time and you cant tell whats going on.

2. Generate a sitemap xml (and yes in NT this can be a page that programatically generates an xml document that lists all your pages). Submit that sitemap. Put it in the standard places. Then wait for google (etc) to tell you its scanned your site. eg. http://inhabit.com.au/sitemap.xml

3. Use the basic google syntax to see how its going

type into google:

site:mydomain.com    - to see your indexed pages in google
link:mydomain.com    - to see pages pointing to you

thats the syntax for google the other search engines have similar features.

4. If you are worried about ajax functions that may not load when the page is first loaded, use googles webmaster feature "view page as google sees it".

Now to improve your SEO, here is the absolute basics.

1. Your URL is the single most important thing, this means

http://mydomain.com/Products?id=10   ---  is bad

http://mydomain.com/Acme-Widget-Left-Handed  -- is great

http://mydomain.com/Products/Acme-Widget-Left-Handed?id=10    --  is damn near as good

Its a bit advanced but you can do this in NT (its called URL Rewriting)

To see URL rewriting in action go to http://prdrobina.com.au - its done in NT and it ranks very well in google.

2. Your title tag must be representative of the page (ie. must contain the correct keywords).

Thats the most important stuff, but there is heaps more.

Also a word of caution, Google state that if you specifically change your content while they are spidering your site, in other words, you detect a crawler and dump heaps of content and keywords that the general public don't normally see, they will detect it and penalise you.

Never seen it happen, but its a pretty obvious way of screwing with Google and they are pretty good at catching people using "blackseo". "black" meaning evil!

Regards
Bill

jorgemir

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2011, 05:54:16 PM »
Ok Bill. Thanks very much for your complete answer. I apreciate it.
I'll try all your advices.
Jorge