NetTalk Central

Author Topic: Strange behaviour of popups/lookups  (Read 1548 times)

hilton

• View Profile
Strange behaviour of popups/lookups
« on: December 23, 2010, 03:48:03 PM »
Clarion v7.2 NTWS v5.08

Hi Folks & Bruce,

I have noticed:

1) if you go from browse to popup form and then from popup to lookup (browse) and then cancel the lookup(browse) - you return to a form only (popup effect has gone).  The same is true when you select an item from the lookup(browse).  I presume the intention was to return from the lookup and find the popup still in vogue.

2) if you go from browse to popup form and then from popup to lookup(popup), the browser will not respond unless you click the x at top right to close. Try web31.app, select Albert & Victoria (id 14), select CHANGE, select INVOICES, select CHANGE and finally select the customer lookup (?).  Things go a bit funny thereafter.

Bye,
Hilton.

Bruce

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Strange behaviour of popups/lookups
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2010, 01:09:51 AM »
Hi Hilton,

>> 1) if you go from browse to popup form and then from popup to lookup (browse) and then cancel the lookup(browse) - you return to a form only (popup effect has gone).  The same is true when you select an item from the lookup(browse).  I presume the intention was to return from the lookup and find the popup still in vogue.

no, at the moment, once you go into "popup mode" you must stay in popup mode, otherwise when it returns to the pages the popups are closed. In other words, if you use a popup form, you must use a Popup lookup.

>> 2) if you go from browse to popup form and then from popup to lookup(popup), the browser will not respond unless you click the x at top right to close. Try web31.app, select Albert & Victoria (id 14), select CHANGE, select INVOICES,
select CHANGE and finally select the customer lookup (?).  Things go a bit funny thereafter.

Correct - but it's not the "path" that is the problem, but the fact that you get back to "browseCustomers".
ie you went
BrowseCustomers
  UpdateCustomers
    UpdateInvoices
      BrowseCustomers (lookup)

Currently the popup system is not recursive in this way. the solution in a case like this is to ask;
"should you be allowed to re-assign an invoice t someone else, when viewing the invoices for a specific customer" ?

Cheers
Bruce

hilton

• View Profile
Re: Strange behaviour of popups/lookups
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2010, 05:18:59 PM »
Hi Bruce,

Yes I understand the circular nature of the example I gave and in that circumstance I agree with what you say, however, the example I had was not circular.  I will continue with what I am doing being mindful of the advice you have given and if anything pops up(oops!) I will let you know.

In the meantime, thank you very much for your prompt answers to my questions.

Bye,
Hilton.