NetTalk Central

Author Topic: Netsimple Server : Requests from non-clarion program  (Read 8369 times)

HalfBubble

• Yahoo Instant Messenger - torby77
    • View Profile
    • Email
Netsimple Server : Requests from non-clarion program
« on: November 11, 2010, 01:00:46 PM »
The requests are almost certainly coming from non-clarion as the rest of the world thinks we're all mad  :-\

In the Process method, should I use of NET:SimplePartialDataPacket instead of NET:SimpleWholeDataPacket? Is the WholeDataPacket just something you get from another nettalk program, or the normal way to receive requests from things like java, C#, python or whatever the outside program is coded in?

I'm tasked with making a server for outside vendors to send IP messages to and get responses from. Maybe I should just use GET and POST with a web server instead of a netsimple server?
Tom Ruby
Clarion since Clarion for Windows 1.0
Available for short or long projects

Bruce

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Netsimple Server : Requests from non-clarion program
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2010, 03:42:02 AM »
>> In the Process method, should I use of NET:SimplePartialDataPacket instead of NET:SimpleWholeDataPacket?

yes.

>> Is the WholeDataPacket just something you get from another nettalk program,

yes (although the protocol is trivial, so could be coded in any language)

>> or the normal way to receive requests from things like java, C#, python or whatever the outside program is coded in?

no.

>> I'm tasked with making a server for outside vendors to send IP messages to and get responses from. Maybe I should just use GET and POST with a web server instead of a netsimple server?

this is what I'd do. HTTP is a well understood protocol on the internet, so sending messages to, and getting replies from, a HTTP server is something everyone understands. ("web services" usually use HTTP as the protocol of choice, although in practice you can make a "web service" running over any protocol.)

In practice;
a) a lot of companies shut down all ports except port 80. So for maximum usuability you want your communication to use port 80.
b) If you use port 80 it's a _lot_ better to use HTTP. Lots of systems expect port 80 to use HTTP, so if it's missing it can cause communication problems.

cheers
Bruce

HalfBubble

• Yahoo Instant Messenger - torby77
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2010, 06:03:27 AM »
I've studied the soap server examples...

The server picks up the posted text from .GetValue('xml')

And sets the reply with
.ParseHTML(xmltext,1,LEN(xmltext),Net:NoHeader)

This sounds like the way I want to go, though they probably will demand something other than port 80. VP is sure you can't handle such things without IIS.
Tom Ruby
Clarion since Clarion for Windows 1.0
Available for short or long projects

Bruce

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2010, 09:39:01 PM »
Hi Half,

yeah, you can obviously use any port - but using HTTP at least gives you the option to use port 80. Makes it the client's decision, not yours.

cheers
Bruce