NetTalk Central

Author Topic: Re: Report Progress Problem - SOLVED (red-face)  (Read 3281 times)

Stu

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Report Progress Problem - SOLVED (red-face)
« on: December 11, 2014, 08:47:23 PM »
This is very bizarre.

Was visiting offices today, and saw this happening realtime.

It's cross-browser (saw it happen in chrome, firefox and IE 11).

But what's boggling my mind is that I saw it not work, then work, then go back to not working all on the same computer (but different instances of the browser).

Oh, and my issue is slightly different to OP.

1. Person clicks on the "print pdf" start button.
2. Timer gif appears, code runs, but the "start progress never appears, and the link never appears.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2014, 09:33:23 PM by Stu »
Cheers,

Stu Andrews

Bruce

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Report Progress Problem
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2014, 11:16:54 PM »
>> Oh, and my issue is slightly different to OP.

um - yes - or put another way - completely different to the OP. So I've split this note into it's own thread.

>> 1. Person clicks on the "print pdf" start button.
>> 2. Timer gif appears, code runs, but the "start progress never appears, and the link never appears.

Am I right that you are unable to duplicate this on your machine?  And on the server it "sometimes works, sometimes not".
This suggests to me that you have something which is not "multi-user-safe". In other words you have written it as if there is only 1 user - perhaps using a global variable (maybe using a global variable in the report?) - and it works as long as there is 1 user, but if you have multiple users then they interfere with each other.

Even for example, the name of the PDF that the report generates. If it's not unique each time then maybe multiple users are hampering that too. (Maybe the _second_ user gets an error when creating the file.)

HTH

cheers
Bruce

Stu

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2014, 02:54:11 AM »
Thanks Bruce.

1. Yes, unable to duplicate.
2. In offices (live webserver, many different computers + browsers) it sometimes works, sometimes not, yup.
3. No global vars.
4. Where the issue is happening there is no filename passed, so it uses whatever p_web generates for it, ie $$$84147.pdf.
5. I log in under different sessions, open the same/different record and click the button for each session as quick as possible, and both generate the pdf fine.

I think the whole multi-user thing sounds it might be a goer (to do with the cause), but not sure how to reliably make it break.

In the template code, when setting loc:ProgressName = p_web.GetValue('_ProgressName_'), is it possible to get two the same of _ProgressName_ and that being the issue, that the webserver then doesn't send it back to the second browser?
Cheers,

Stu Andrews

Stu

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2014, 06:22:14 PM »
Can confirm this is happening in *other* places I have "start" button + progress bar for creating pdf reports with pdftools.

Can't say that it's ALL places, but definitely more than the one place I was initially zoning in on.

Am hoping that the next nettalk build just magically solves it. Captain Bruce to the rescue!

Stu
« Last Edit: December 16, 2014, 06:33:31 PM by Stu »
Cheers,

Stu Andrews

Stu

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2014, 03:32:42 PM »
Conflicting reports as to whether Chrome is a factor or not (or IE is the factor).

The problem seems to present a lot more on IE. Less on chrome (only once that I've seen).
Cheers,

Stu Andrews

Stu

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Report Progress Problem - SOLVED (red-face)
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2014, 09:35:30 PM »
So.

p_web.GetSessionLevel()<10

When testing, I hide stuff away so that I can test on live but that others can't see it.

Guess what?

The button was visible but the progress bar still had the testing check.

** To everyone harmed in the making of this thread, apologies.

** To Bruce and Nettalk, 1000 apologies :)

NOTE:

There is possibly still an issue, where in other places I've had reports of not being able to see the "click here to download file" link - in places where there is definitely no "hide/include" check.

But until I know more and can replicate, won't besmirch the name of nettalk.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2014, 09:37:56 PM by Stu »
Cheers,

Stu Andrews