NetTalk Central

Author Topic: Ideas on Implement Communication between NT web server and NT Kiosk  (Read 882 times)

rjolda

• View Profile
    • Email
Hi,
NT 14.13  C 11.
I am going to run a Net Talk Secure Web server.  All data is on server.  Users will interact with the Server via mobile devices.  I will have remote windows terminals which will only DISPLAY messages and do actions ( like drop things) upon direction of the server after the mobile user has authenticated themselves.  The Kiosk can run a Clarion APP and can have a login to the NT web server.  The kiosk will ONLY DISPLAY messages from server and do actions requested by server.  There is NOT a lot of communication going on between Server and Kiosk.  Interactions may be 100 in 24 hours.  So, not a lot of traffic.  questions:
1. Should I implement a Secure Socket between Kiosk and NT server - this would be open all the time?
or
2. Is there a better way for server to send messages to the KIOSK in response to Mobile user making requests at the Web server.  So, response has to be timely.
Trying to figure out the best way to implement on NT server and remote Kiosk.   All help appreciated.
Thanks,
Ron

Stu

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Ideas on Implement Communication between NT web server and NT Kiosk
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2023, 03:43:48 PM »
Hey Ron,

I'm guessing you've decided on the kiosk app direction because you didn't want to go the "use the webserver" route for kiosk interaction?

Would be interested in your reasoning.

Having say ChromeExplorer in an app, so the app on the kiosk is just a display interface to the webserver (where the user can log in etc).
Cheers,

Stu Andrews

Bruce

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2023, 09:29:32 PM »
so to be clear, there are 3 machines in play here;

a) the server
b) a mobile device. where the user does stuff and
c) a kiosk where that stuff appears? (as soon as possible after the mobile user does it?)

If the above is all true, then yes, I'd make a web socket connection between the kiosk and the server.

Cheers
Bruce

rjolda

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2023, 03:28:40 AM »
HI Stu,
We are going to return automobile keys to customers at the kiosk.  They will have a QR code which they will fetch in our APP on their mobile device to scan at the Kiosk and a PIN number ( texted to them) which they will enter on their mobile device.  I think that a third check as to who is actually at which kiosk will be that the user at the kiosk will be shown a number and they will have to enter it on their mobile phone.  ( There may be 4 kiosks so I need to make sure that they are at the kiosk with their keys).  If they don't see a number to enter, they are at the wrong kiosk and we can help direct them to the correct one where they will repeat the process.
I would love to get rid of the display at the kiosk.  However, people want some type of interaction to make sure that the device is really working.  Secondly, they are going to scan the QR code on their phone on the kiosk.  In order to prevent frustration, a display on the kiosk will help them center their barcode. .  Can't think of a better way to help them get their barcode scanned.  Any ideas.
Thanks,
Ron

Stu

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2023, 12:44:20 PM »
HI Stu,
We are going to return automobile keys to customers at the kiosk.  They will have a QR code which they will fetch in our APP on their mobile device to scan at the Kiosk and a PIN number ( texted to them) which they will enter on their mobile device.  I think that a third check as to who is actually at which kiosk will be that the user at the kiosk will be shown a number and they will have to enter it on their mobile phone.  ( There may be 4 kiosks so I need to make sure that they are at the kiosk with their keys).  If they don't see a number to enter, they are at the wrong kiosk and we can help direct them to the correct one where they will repeat the process.
I would love to get rid of the display at the kiosk.  However, people want some type of interaction to make sure that the device is really working.  Secondly, they are going to scan the QR code on their phone on the kiosk.  In order to prevent frustration, a display on the kiosk will help them center their barcode. .  Can't think of a better way to help them get their barcode scanned.  Any ideas.
Thanks,
Ron

Hey Ron,

I guess I was just asking about your thinking between a desktop app that has the functionality (display full screen etc, interacting with the server via sockets or webservices) vs some kind of app that displays web content + functionality (served from the webserver).

I've been thinking about the hybrid lately (desktop app for windows machine kiosks, that uses something like Chrome Explorer to display pages served by a webserver).
Cheers,

Stu Andrews

rjolda

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2023, 06:35:23 PM »
Stu,
As it stands right now, I am using the kiosk to communicate with an Arduino locally which is running some stepper motors to do some tasks.  It is easier to use Windows to run the serial port and communicate with the arduino as we get started.  Also using kiosk to read barcodes - which I could also do in net talk.  THere are objects to allow browsers to communicate with Com ports - my son was using them at Volkswagen 6 years ago to communicate with car accessories and said it was straight forward.  There are no standards for this type of communication yet so Bruce is not implementing it and I can understand that.  I started watching ClarionLive #467 with Alejandro and Roberto about Arduino and Net Talk.  Fascinating.  He loaded up a browser designed for Arduino and  had it communicating with a Net Talk web server.  I think that I might go in that direction once we get our project up and running - that effort will be for "experimental play time".  I like the Seeduino XIAO for several reasons and prefer it to the Arduino.  However, not all of the arduino libraries port to it - so that is another headache.  So, for right now, going to stay with Windows app running NetWebClient with Secure Socket communications to server. 
Ron

Stu

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2023, 10:04:55 PM »
Rightio, Arduino - definitely socket coms is good :)
Cheers,

Stu Andrews