NetTalk Central

Author Topic: Select record on Browse  (Read 2588 times)

kevin plummer

• View Profile
    • Production Accounting and Software Payroll
Select record on Browse
« on: January 11, 2010, 05:14:44 AM »
Hi All,

When i open a browse I want a particular record selected (not the first record) - sort of like a lookup browse.

I thought if I set the unique identifier session value before the browse opened that would do it but that does not seem to work.

Any tips?

Cheers,

Kev

kevin plummer

• View Profile
Re: Select record on Browse
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2010, 05:34:42 PM »
I've been messing around with an actual lookup button to see what gets set so it hits the closest match and using 4.37 with an MSSQL2005 backend it loads up the browse with the first record selected. Does the lookup actually work on this version with MSSQL or am I missing something?

Cheers,

Kev

Bruce

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2010, 08:39:17 PM »
Th lookup question aside, the correct way to locate a specific record when you open a browse is by setting the locator options for the browse.

For example;
browsesystem?BrowseSystem_Sort=1&Refresh=locate&Locator1BrowseSystem=219-312-796-628

The sort is set, so it knows what column you are searching on. Note that (unfortunatly) it's done by column number, so either set a variable in the server or use a fixed value. The Refresh=Locate tells it to search o the locator, and the last parameter is the value to search for. Note the 1 there is always a 1, it has nothing to do with the column number.

Substitue BrowseSystem in the above with the name of your browse.

Cheers
Bruce

kevin plummer

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2010, 10:49:52 PM »
Thanks that is really useful explanation  - I will give it a bash.

Kev

Bruce

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2010, 03:44:07 AM »
I've been experimenting with this interface for a bit now. Especially where you have a secondary table lookup in a browse row.

So, for example, I have a web orders table, and for each line item there is a product. By making the product name a hyperlink I can click on the product in the line item and go to the products browse - straight to that product. Of course there are lots of these sorts of things in any app, and most browses. It becomes almost a completely different way to navigate.

This is very different to a windows app where you keep returning to the main menu to start another browse. But it is a very intuitive system, and of course very fast because clicking on something you can already see is a lot faster than choosing a menu item, then filling in a locator.

I may look at some template options to make this slightly easier - but at the moment just entering the hyperlink works fairly well.

Cheers
Bruce