NetTalk Central

Author Topic: Unable to update or insert parent record after using button to add children?  (Read 2053 times)

CaseyR

• View Profile
    • Email
Just thought I would pass this tidbit along because it took me quite a while to figure it out.

My NT 4 application had a few parent forms with browses of child records.  To support multiple selection of children records, I used a button to call another form which processed the tagged records.  The button used a URL to call the relevant form with its parameters.  Worked fine.

I moved the app over to NT5 (or it may have been a later release of NT5), and found the parent records were not updated or changed when I clicked Save after adding child records.   The problem was the button 'Type' .   The original type was 'Button'; it now has to be 'Submit'.  Otherwise the parent form never gets the Validate and Post stage parameters.

CaseyR

• View Profile
    • Email
Ran into a related problem so I thought I would update this topic.

I recently changed my buttons that call my multiple select forms from custom URL's to procedures using the Action option.  These require you to use the 'Button' type instead of 'Submit'.  They seemed to work well, but if the 'Pop up' option wasn't used the same problem of no Validate or Post stages in the parent form occurred.   I am using an older release of NetTalk 5, but haven't seem the issue mentioned in more recent release notes so I assume it is still there.

Bruce

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Hi Casey,

Obviously testing a current version of NT5 would be a good thing. Also posting an example would probably be help in understanding the configuration.

cheers
Bruce