NetTalk Central

Author Topic: XHTML Tooltip  (Read 1975 times)

gavinwebb

• View Profile
    • Email
XHTML Tooltip
« on: March 29, 2012, 05:17:40 AM »
I have a table with a name field and a text field.
The text field is editable using TinyMCE and so is stored as HTML in the database (I think).
I would like to display the text field as an HTML tooltip when I hover on the name field in the browse.

First problem: If I put the text field as the tooltip variable it doesn't like it - says "Field not found in parent file", I can put text in quotes or use a local variable with no problems, just don't seem to be able to use a file variable.

Second problem: Assuming I can resolve the first problem, how can I get it to treat the variable as XHTML?

Bruce

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: XHTML Tooltip
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2012, 06:10:24 AM »
Tooltips typically go into the html "title" attribute. HTML doesn't allow this attribute to contina html, so if you want html in tooltips then you need to use some "more advanced" tip addon. I think (but I'm not 100% sure) that the vTip example I used in the training can do this. If not, I'm sure there are other plugins that can. There's a new jQueryUI tooltip plugin coming at some point as well.

I'll look into the variable thing - you should be able to use a variable there.

cheers
Bruce

gavinwebb

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2012, 09:28:53 AM »
Bruce, I have further information regarding tooltips in browses.
Say I have a table called customers with a link to a country table.  Customers also have a notes field.
On my browse I have my customer name and their country (lookup up from country table).
I put the customer notes field as a hot field.
Now I can make the notes field the tooltip on the customer name - works great, I hover over customer name in browse and I see my note.

However, if I also want the note to appear as a tooltip on the country column it gives me a compile error.

I can recreate this in several places.

Bruce

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2012, 09:13:51 PM »
can you create in an example Gavin? Or at the very least post the compile error, and block of code here so I can see what it is.

cheers
Bruce