NetTalk Central

Author Topic: SMPP documentation  (Read 3299 times)

Neville Wright

• View Profile
    • Email
SMPP documentation
« on: December 15, 2013, 01:36:20 PM »
Would like to have the ability to send TEXT (SMS) messages directly from my app. Currently I use an email 2 SMS service that works just fine except when some ISP blocks the email and won't admit it. So I need to post direct. NT7 has a demo of SMPP but I am unsure of how it works due to lack of documentation.
The SMS relay site has their own API. It appears that I need to send the user name and password to retrieve an API ID from them to attach to the message as the message id, then construct the message and post.. Any help would be appreciated.
Nev

Bruce

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: SMPP documentation
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2013, 03:38:58 AM »
Hi Neville,

>> Would like to have the ability to send TEXT (SMS) messages directly from my app. Currently I use an email 2 SMS service that works just fine except when some ISP blocks the email and won't admit it.

98%+ off all mail is not delivered. (It's called SPAM, but SPAM is in the eye of the beholder).

>> So I need to post direct.

By direct I presume you mean direct to their API. You can send messages direct to a phone using a cell-modem, but that's a different approach, and not what you're thinking of (I think.)

>> NT7 has a demo of SMPP but I am unsure of how it works due to lack of documentation.

Unfortunately I didn't write the class, so my knowledge of it is sketchy as well. Given my experience with protocols which are "standard" and yet implemented differently, it's also possible that your provider may or may not work with this SMPP class.

>> The SMS relay site has their own API. It appears that I need to send the user name and password to retrieve an API ID from them to attach to the message as the message id, then construct the message and post.. Any help would be appreciated.

Have you watched the Webinar I did on ClarionLive ($48)  around the web client class?
http://www.capesoft.com/accessories/netsp.htm#ClarionLive
It's not hard to interact with web services (or "API" as you've called it.) In fact it's very easy. Give the webinar a watch, and ask again if you're not sure about something.

cheers
Bruce