NetTalk Central

Author Topic: Web server as service issue  (Read 2916 times)

bekeland

• View Profile
Web server as service issue
« on: September 21, 2010, 08:06:29 AM »
Currently running NetTalk v4.53, SelfService v2.05, and WinEvent v3.32.  When I was using NT v4.3 and the other tools the web server ran as a service fine, no issues.  Now that I am running NT v4.53, it does not seem stable.  Twice in the past two days the server has "stopped" and going into the Admin tools | Services, it is NOT running.  It is set for Auto in properties.  Any ideas of why the server is now stopping and has to be manually restarted when it used to work fine?  Thanks.

Brian E.

Bruce

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Web server as service issue
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2010, 12:02:03 AM »
Hi Brian,

I'm guessing that your server is crashing for some reason. To debug this;

a) run the server as an exe for a bit. If it crashes (GPF's) you should get some sort of message.

b) If it is a GPF install GPF Reporter. This will log the GPF, so you can find out what caused it, and also restart the server.

Cheers
Bruce

CaseyR

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2010, 01:12:16 PM »
Another option is to use the recovery options of the service itself.  Set them to Restart Service. 

bekeland

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2010, 09:16:36 AM »
Thanks for the ideas.  I did get it worked out as it turned out to be an application issue unrelated to the service or nettalk tools.

ccordes

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2010, 05:48:39 PM »
Could you explain what the application issue was? I am having a similar issue and can not see what is causing it.
Thanks
chris
Real programmers use copy con newapp.exe

bekeland

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2010, 07:14:33 AM »
Chris,

Sorry for such a delay in answering.  I'm not on NetTalkCentral as often as I should be.

My issue was that I had changed a file description and had not rebuilt the file so I was getting a file error in the service and it was just hanging.

As suggested, run the web server app as a desktop app for a day or two.  You might try turning the debug options on and use Full.  If you can get a Watson or debug dump it usually can get you pretty close to the problem.

Brian