NetTalk Central

Author Topic: Calling child browse from Parent!  (Read 2646 times)

rjolda

• View Profile
    • Email
Calling child browse from Parent!
« on: May 27, 2009, 03:39:06 AM »
Hi All,
I have a parent browse with clinic dates and locations and providers.
In a separate child table , I have a list of the clients scheduled for each clinic date and location.

I don't need to show the children for each Parent, but I do want to select a parent and then be able to show the children.

I was trying to put a button on the parent browse form to call a child browse form but could not figure out how to do it.

Maybe the correct way to do it is to have the Parent and Child on the same screen but be able to "hide the child browse" ( so it does not fetch data ) and  unhide it and populate it only when desired?   Other suggestions?????

TIA,
Ron Jolda

Bruce

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Calling child browse from Parent!
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2009, 08:10:13 AM »
Well which approach do you want to do?
Both are possible  :)

Cheers
Bruce

rjolda

• View Profile
    • Email
Displaying children Upon Request
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2009, 09:59:26 AM »
How do I go about Unhiding the Child table and populating it ONLY ON REQUEST when a parent record is highlighted.....
TIA,
Ron Jolda

Bruce

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2009, 12:36:56 AM »
Hi Ron,

On the children tab of the parent browse is a conditional which determines if the child is there or not.
So when the button, on the row (to unhide the child) is pressed, you need to change the "condition"
and then refresh the browse (which will then refresh the child).

Of course then you need to hide the child again when the next record on the browse is selected.

This interface seems unusually clunky though. What exactly is the effect you're trying to achieve?

cheers
Bruce

rjolda

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2009, 02:36:54 AM »
Hi Bruce,
I have a parent list of clinics with different dates, locations and providers.
Many times, they just need to work with the dates, locations and providers so they are doing a lot of work with the parent.
Closer to the specific clinic dates, they want to see the children ( people in each clinic) and be able to print that list. 
So, I don't really need to be moving the child browse data unless they specifically want to see that table.
Ron

Bruce

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2009, 07:46:06 AM »
Perhaps the button on the parent browse should just go to another page, ie the child browse?
Might be more logical than having the child appear some of the time and then disappear for some of the time?

Cheers
Bruce