NetTalk Central

Author Topic: Anyone using a Samsung Galaxy Tablet?  (Read 4181 times)

John Fligg

• View Profile
    • Ambrit Software
    • Email
Anyone using a Samsung Galaxy Tablet?
« on: February 12, 2012, 09:19:51 AM »
OK a strange request ....

Does anyone out there use a Samsung Galaxy Tablet? I have a client with some serious issues and cannot get to the bottom of very slow response times. I am suspecting it might be something to do with Android because of certain circumstances.

If so could you just try adding a record for me using a test user I will set up on my server? I have the clients permission to use their data which is just test data but will set up a copy to test with.

Basically his tablet thinks that it is a smartphone and NT6 is running in mobile mode. We are overridign that using the ?mobile=0 switch and am wondering if that is the cause. My tablets are all Windows.

Thanks

John

John Fligg

• View Profile
    • Ambrit Software
    • Email
Re: Anyone using a Samsung Galaxy Tablet?
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2012, 08:09:45 AM »
OK - anyone using ANY Android tablet out there. Getting quite desperate. I am not sure if this is the clients machine or something in NT6 and I need to test this.

I think it is something within NT6 and that is VERY worrying as there are a lot of Android tablets out there.

I cannot think of another way of narrowing this down.

Hope someone can help. If so I can set up an account to log in to that has the clients data (he has given me his permission) to test on.

Many thanks

John

AZIS350

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2012, 10:03:09 AM »
John, I've been doing quite a bit of testing of our NT mobile apps in a variety of devices, but have not had a chance to try a Samsung. However, the devices we have tested with are iphones, iPads, an Android Vizio, and the Kindle Fire which is based on Android. In all cases, I have not experienced any speed issues (other than related to the device itself such as the Vizio which is a slower tablet). This is in both mobile mode as well as Desktop and Detect modes. The only issue I have found with some android devices is the drop-down menu issue, but that's a different story. As far as speed though, at least in my experience I have not noticed any differences based upon mobile/desktop modes.

John Fligg

• View Profile
    • Ambrit Software
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2012, 10:44:02 AM »
Oh!!!

What is this about drop downs and Androids? I think this is my very problem. The client tells me the system is slow but he is referring to one screen on which there are several drop downs.

Note: They are actually lookups NOT drop downs. I am not entirely sure what the difference actually is although the early days Bruce was quite specific with me to call them lookups.

Thanks

John

AZIS350

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2012, 02:04:49 PM »
I'm not sure if our situation is the same as yours, however with a number of android devices (although not with Kindle Fire for some reason), in non-mobile mode we use double-drop menu style. With those specifics, the android devices do not allow a menu to be tapped and 'stick' so you can tap on the drop-down menus (submenu). They either will not appear at all, or they will drop-down within a fraction of a second and disappear. For example, we have a menu with an 'Inventory' selection, with submenus of 'Main Inventory Location' and 'Additional Inventory Locations' for example.  When you tap on the 'Inventory' main selection, the submenu does not appear or appears very briefly - in either case you can not tap on those submenus. So we had to remove those submenus for now and place them as additional main menu items.

I've tried different browsers on the android devices, and all with the same result. I have not however yet tried the new Chrome for Android. In my research, I found some threads related to other app's (not NT related) having similar issues and may be related to menu width and/or opacity. I do hand-code the width, but not opacity so perhaps that has something to do with it (haven' the time yet to play with the settings).

Not to change the point of your thread :)

John Fligg

• View Profile
    • Ambrit Software
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2012, 02:08:24 PM »
Interesting. Hpwever my situation is that a form with lookups is very slow whereas a competitors software (same machine etc.) runs perfectly on the Android but they are using dropdowns.

John