NetTalk Central

Author Topic: Webserver as service  (Read 2505 times)

Majodi

• View Profile
    • Email
Webserver as service
« on: July 04, 2008, 02:21:02 AM »
I used selfservice and winevent and followed the docs to get NetTalk Web Server to operate as a service. On XP I got it working but with Vista the service can be created but doesn't start. The jumpstart example shipped with selfservice does work okay with Vista. Anyone have a clue?

Majodi

Poul

• View Profile
Re: Webserver as service
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2008, 05:41:05 AM »
Does it work on XP if you configure your service - NOT to interact with the desktop?  That would be closer to what happens in Vista.  Pay close attention to the docs and the special notes in there regarding vista. Use of some sort of messagehook seems a defacto requirement.

Most of my issues were either context or dialogues, context meaning things like paths to dll's that as an application are present, are not necessarily available to the service, "trust no one" helps in the sense that the service may not even be running where you think/assume it is.

By dialogue, i mean the service has no access to the normal user interface so anything that requires user action, may give the appearance of hanging ...
(So in the simple case maybe you just need to automate the pushing of your start button?)

I usually start testing my service in XP with interact with desktop, so i can prove to myself it isn't trying to talk to a user.

I had trouble in two areas, one was a dialogue from SQL login, the other related to memory cached tables (gpf error on certain configuration)- which required a workaround, i sent to Geoff who retrofitted it into the selfservice template.   Usually once you :"see" the problem the answers are easy and obvious, the problem is of course seeing them...

ajosuna

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Webserver as service
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2008, 10:24:16 PM »
Try turning off User Accounts Control in Vista. I think that's how we got it to work.

Anthony