NetTalk Central

Author Topic: webserver as a service  (Read 2564 times)

dmoyer

• View Profile
    • Email
webserver as a service
« on: November 13, 2011, 06:49:41 PM »
I am not sure if this is related to Nettalk, SelfService, or something else.  We deployed a webserver that uses SelfService to run as a service.  It also uses MSSQL as the backend.

The webserver is on a PC in a DMZ and the MSSQL data is on another PC.  We opened Port 89 on the firewall, and all ran fine until we installed it as a service.  By tracing the logs, we found that the webserver could not access MSSQL untill another port was open.  That port is 2937 and is listed as "pnaconsult-lm".

I could not find much information about the port, but it appears to have something to do with streaming data.  I don't think it is related to the webserver, but wondered if anyone else has encountered this port?  Could it be used by SelfService? 

I told the IT guy I would check, he freaks out with every port we open :)

DonRidley

• Don Ridley
  • Global Moderator
  • donaldridley2011@gmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: webserver as a service
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2011, 07:47:44 PM »
If you have FM3, I would just use FM3's SQL connect procedure and connect to the SQL server.

I have never ran into a situation requiring that specific port with MsSQL. 

Don
"Eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, however unlikely, must be the truth."

NetTalk 12.55
Clarion 11

dmoyer

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2011, 09:35:44 PM »
Hi Don,

We do have FM3, but don't use it as we have our own templates for connecting to MSSQL and have our own data migration tools.  The extra port wasn't necessary until running it as a service, so I'm ruling out everything except SelfService or something in our environment.

We are getting ready to deploy at customer sites, so all I have to go on is this one install for now.  I wonder if other developers are deploying NTWS as a service.

Bruce

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2011, 12:50:42 AM »
I've not heard of this myself, adn as far as I know SelfService doesn't care.
However googling
2937pnaconsult-lm
yields lots of information.

cheers
Bruce

dmoyer

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2011, 04:19:51 AM »
Ok, thanks Bruce.  I'll see how the first few installations go and whether we have to open this port in other environments. 

charl99

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2011, 06:36:28 AM »
We simply use the following convention for connectiong to the SQL Server.

In the Webserver template, below Restore from ini file:

GLOD:Server      =   GETINI('connection','server','','.\grailweb.ini')    !'grailserver' recomp
 GLOD:Database    =   GETINI('connection','database','','.\grailweb.ini')    !'grail_HIU'
 GLOD:dbUser      =   ! User
 GLOD:dbPass      =   !Password
 GLOD:SQL_Connect =   GLOD:Server &','& GLOD:Database &','& GLOD:dbUser &','&GLOD:dbPass

However, I think it best to use some other port, ie GRAIL would be 47245, DMOYER would be 36697, like on an old Nokia phone or something.  IT okes tend to ask less questions if you use a funny port like this  8).

Anyway, the SelfService thing sometimes stop working, (ok, it give compile errors) when I push all 30 dll's through GoToLunch.  Restarting the computer _always_ solves this.

Cheers,
Hope this helps.