NetTalk Central

Author Topic: Disabling Right Click on Gallery  (Read 1834 times)

johanl

• View Profile
    • Email
Disabling Right Click on Gallery
« on: March 28, 2012, 11:50:07 PM »
Hello

Is there a way to disable the right click and menu options on a page that contains the gallery. I want to stop the user from saving the image to local disk?

Regards
Johan

Rob de Jager

• View Profile
Re: Disabling Right Click on Gallery
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2012, 06:41:43 AM »
Hi Johan

At the point when the image is visible, it is already on disk. If the user really wants it, all he has to do is to go and look in the browser cache.

It would be "safer" to watermark the image using freeimage.

Slight off topic but for more info though, NetTalk uses the JQuery pluggin Ad Gallery to display images. It has a couple of options not exposed in the template, which you can change in the script file, look at http://coffeescripter.com/code/ad-gallery/ for more info.

Cheers

Rob

« Last Edit: March 29, 2012, 10:01:52 PM by Rob de Jager »

johanl

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2012, 02:37:17 AM »
Thanks Rob

As this website will be used by students I think the watermark is probably the way to go, will look at the gallery object and see if it can be done in script.

Regards
Johan

Bruce

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2012, 06:05:37 AM »
>> I want to stop the user from saving the image to local disk?

you can't prevent _any_ picture that is displayed on a computer monitor from being saved. Just press Ctrl-Print-Screen, go to MS Paint, and press "paste".

Let's put it another way;
a) clearly in order for an image to be displayed in a browser it has to be downloaded from the server.

b) if the person inspects the html, they can fetch "just the image file". For example;
http://www.google.com/images/srpr/logo3w.png

c) if they can fetch it with a browser they can fetch it with any "web client" software, like wget or curl or indeed many of the NetTalk WebClient demos.

Cheers
Bruce