NetTalk Central

Author Topic: NetTalk 9 - Apps  (Read 4318 times)

Robert Iliuta

• View Profile
    • Email
NetTalk 9 - Apps
« on: September 07, 2015, 11:01:17 PM »
Hallo Bruce,

I see on website that NT9 come in 3 options: Desktop, Server and App.

Can you let me know what is NetTalk Apps?

I read this on website:
"In addition it includes the necessary templates, classes and JavaScript to allow you to create completely stand-along JavaScript applications. These applications can be packaged (without a server) into apps that can be deployed onto any device and which in turn can then run disconnected from the internet on that device."

no more .exe webserver? ....so this app will run without a web server? how? can you explain better the mechanism?

Thank you!
Robert

Bruce

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: NetTalk 9 - Apps
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2015, 12:52:38 AM »
Hi Robert,

>> no more .exe webserver? ....so this app will run without a web server? how? can you explain better the mechanism?

The idea is fairly simple, but there are a lot of subtle details that have to be understood. I'll be covering this in some detail during the training at devcon. After devcon I'll do more docs and so on and for those not at devcon the release on Dec 4 is probably the webinar to watch for a full explanation.  After that webinar I suspect there will be more webinars on NetTalk Apps and there's a lot of detail there to discuss.

In a nutshell though, the idea is that you can "disconnect" the web app from the web server. You would still actually have a web app (for 2 reasons - see below) but the app itself can run "without a connection to the server".

This app can then be packaged with PhoneGap (or something similar) to make a stand-along mobile app which can be deployed to Android, iOS etc.

You actually still need a server, for 2 reasons.
a) The server actually "generates" the app. From there it is saved for disconnected use (or packaging) but it's generated by the server.

b) you need a "Sync" server which allows your disconnected app to synchronize data with the server. The server side, and the client side, for this are all built-in - so it's not something you'll actually spend any time on, but for all but for most use cases you'll want the data captured in the mobile device to go somewhere.

The reason this information has been released at this point is specifically for those attending devcon training - either in Orlando or online. For the rest it's not really useful to you before Dec 4 - and during that webinar there will be a lot more information.

Cheers
Bruce

Robert Iliuta

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2015, 11:03:51 PM »
Thank you Bruce! Sounds great for offline app.
I will wait the webinar for more information ;-)

Robert

Keith

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2015, 03:50:04 PM »
Bruce

Nettalk Apps sounds great.

Does it mean that we will be able to use Nettalk (Apps) to develop an application for a smart phone (independent of the phone SDK), deploy that app (say using PhoneGap for the packaging), allow the phone app to do its thing, store data etc and then periodically be woken up by a server app to transfer its data?

Thanks

Keith

Clarion 10.0.0 build 12799
NetTalk 9.31
StringTheory 2.65
InsightGraphing 2.27

peterH

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2015, 09:54:53 PM »
Hi Keith,

I think you got i right except that my guess is that the phone app will be initiating any conversation with the server, not the other way around. But I'm sure Bruce has more to say once he's out of his cave  ;)

Peter

Keith

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2015, 11:47:45 PM »
Hi Peter

Yes, re-reading Bruce's post I think you are right.  This is very interesting.  Capesoft should have one of those 'countdown clocks'  which ticks off the seconds to whenever on Dec 4th 2015 - 'only 81 days 6 hours 22 minutes and 13 seconds until Nettalk Apps debuts'.

Keith
Clarion 10.0.0 build 12799
NetTalk 9.31
StringTheory 2.65
InsightGraphing 2.27

Bruce

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2015, 02:01:51 AM »
the client will initiate the connection.