NetTalk Central

Author Topic: Missing Button icons and alignment  (Read 3023 times)

terryd

• View Profile
    • Davcomm
    • Email
Missing Button icons and alignment
« on: October 23, 2009, 01:17:13 AM »
Hi everyone
I'm currently giving myself a refresher course on Nettalk so I am going through each Example and looking at what is done in each one.
In Example 21
If I select Browse/Browse Products the Change and Delete buttons on the rows display OK
If I select Browse/Browse Customers, Click on Change for a Customer and Select the Products Tab on the form the Change and Delete buttons on the row are half shifted under the left border. Also none of the buttons on the browse have icons on them.
Is this a setting I have missed, a bug or a feature?
Nettalk 4.37 Browsing with IE6
Thanks
Terry Davidson
Terry Davidson
Windows 10 64 bit/Windows7 64bit
Clarion 9.1.11529/Clarion10 12567
Nettalk 913
Nettalk 1015
StringTheory267/Winevent515/XFiles298/MessageBox239/Cryptonite186

Bruce

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Missing Button icons and alignment
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2009, 11:24:30 PM »
Hi Terry,

3 things have to conspire for this to happen.
a) IE6 (it doesn't happen in IE7 or 8)
b) the graphic must be a PNG
c) the graphic must be "hidden" when the page is first opened.

Changing any of these factors cures the issue.
I know there are some people out there still using IE6, so it's worth testing in that - but there's a very strong move on the internet now (including microsoft) to do everything possible to encourage users to upgrade to IE7 or 8, or better yet to a browser like Firefox.

Apart from the display issues (and IE6 has _lots_ of those) there are also numerous security issues. Frankly anyone still using IE6 is asking for trouble on the security front.

Changing the graphic to a JPG is an option for you - although you lose the transparency support PNG's have so it's a small step backwards.

Cheers
Bruce

terryd

• View Profile
    • Davcomm
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2009, 10:54:11 PM »
Thanks Bruce
Unfortunately as you say a lot of people still use IE6 and I need to test for their experience.
Terry Davidson
Terry Davidson
Windows 10 64 bit/Windows7 64bit
Clarion 9.1.11529/Clarion10 12567
Nettalk 913
Nettalk 1015
StringTheory267/Winevent515/XFiles298/MessageBox239/Cryptonite186

Bruce

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2009, 12:14:00 AM »
Hi Terry,

yes, approximately 12% of people are still on IE6, and that number seems to be dropping quite rapidly.
(see http://www.w3schools.com/browsers/browsers_stats.asp)

No doubt in part because their browsing experience is substantially worse than pretty much any alternative. On the up side they'll be used to weird behavior and strange things happening.

For security reasons they should definitely upgrade - unfortunately though "security" is not something that motivates people to do much. If they "see" enough difference that'll also motivate them to upgrade.

I'm almost, but not quite, at this stage
http://www.ie6nomore.com/

Cheers
Bruce

Rob Mikkelsen

• Yahoo Instant Messenger - flashpott
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2009, 08:28:16 PM »
My employer, the Federal Aviation Administration, insists on using IE6 for its 35,000+ employees.  There is a policy on the PCs that deletes all instances of Google Chrome and blocks the download of IE7 and IE8.  Fortunately I have admin rights, Firefox and Safari on my computer.

On a positive note, knowing that the bulk of my users WILL be using IE6 reduces the testing requirements considerably.

Cheers!

Rob

Bruce

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2009, 10:32:49 PM »
Hi Rob,

yeah, I feel your pain. It's mostly large organizations who seem to be stuck on IE6. This is a side effect of Bruce's Third Law ("The more you spend the less you get").

cheers
Bruce