NetTalk Central

Author Topic: Date picker - Hidden forward/back buttons - Base theme - NT11  (Read 3622 times)

CaseyR

• View Profile
    • Email
Hi, Bruce

The Base theme hides the forward and back buttons of the date picker until the user hovers over them.   In Aug/September last year you fixed this problem in NT 10.  With NT 11 (.09 for me) the problem is back.  I looked for the CSS property that controlled hide/hover but couldn't find it.  The problem can be demonstrated in the HotDates example if you change the theme to 'base'.

Thanks.

As an aside, what is the thinking that leads to basic functionality being hidden from users without special knowledge?  OK, not really a question.

Rene Simons

• View Profile
Re: Date picker - Hidden forward/back buttons - Base theme - NT11
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2019, 10:22:31 PM »
Hi,

Did you check out the  "TOPIC: CUSTOMISING THE DATE LOOKUP WIDGET  (READ 4104 TIMES)"
in the Share Knowledge section of this forum?
There is a lot of info there.

René
Rene Simons
NT14.14

Bruce

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2019, 07:10:09 AM »
Hi Casey,

>> As an aside, what is the thinking that leads to basic functionality being hidden from users without special knowledge? 

I'm not sure of the context of your question Casey. Do you mean hiding functionality from end users? or from developers?
Do you have an example of this sort of hidden functionality?

cheers
Bruce

CaseyR

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2019, 03:03:25 PM »
Thanks, Rene

That topic applies to options for the JQuery datepicker script, which, while interesting, don't really apply to the Base theme implementation.   Somewhere in the theme CSS there is a property that hides the next month and last month buttons until the user hovers over them.  I am sure the problem is in the original bootstrap code but I just can't find it.  The problem can be seen in any example app that uses the datepicker and the base theme.

Bruce,  my snarky reference was about the end user experience.  Relying on users finding the functionality by accident doesn't seem the best design strategy from what is in other ways a very attractive and functional theme.   I have had three client organizations spontaneously mention the 'missing' next / previous month buttons in the few weeks I have been using the Base theme for my Web Server app, so I know it is noticed by users. 

Thanks.   

Alberto

• MSN Messenger - alberto-michelis@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • ARMi software solutions
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2019, 05:02:36 PM »
Im experimenting the same problem with the base theme. The date lookup window hides the Back and forward month buttons. NT11.10
-----------
Regards
Alberto

Bruce

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2019, 10:24:40 PM »
Hi Casey,

sorry, I didn't think you were being sarcastic. Obviously the goal is not to hide the forward and back buttons - there is indeed a bug in the CSS.
The color of those icons ("out the box") affect the menu icons as well - hence they've been set to white for the menu (and I'm guessing other places as well) so need to be explicitly "not white" for the date picker.
I've added a couple lines to nettalk-ui.css which should take care of this.

I've attached the updated file to this post, but if you want to use it please copy it into \clarion11\accessory\libsrc\win\netweb\web\themes\base (over the one that is there.) Then for your app be sure to run copyall.bat and gzipall.bat.

Cheers
Bruce

CaseyR

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2019, 02:01:16 PM »
Thanks, Bruce.   Works a charm.