NetTalk Central

Author Topic: Binary data on web sockets  (Read 460 times)

rjolda

• View Profile
    • Email
Binary data on web sockets
« on: January 19, 2024, 04:30:41 PM »
Hi.  I am not sure what question to really ask.  It is easier to explain the scenario and then ask the questions.
I have a Kiosk which is running a Windows app and NetWebClient procedure wiht NetWebSocket Client connection to the server.  I want to get rid of the screen on the kiosk and have just a barcode reader on the kiosk.  The users will connect to the Web Server with their cell phone mobile app and request that the barcode reader on the kiosk read the QR code displayed on their cell phone ( we are sending them the QR code with their information.  I would like the user to be able to see the barcode scan on their cell phone so that they can see that the QR code is in the view of the camera to read the barcode.  So, they would be watching their mobile phone to make sure that they position their mobile phone correctly so that the camera can see the QR code.  That is the problem that I am trying to solve.
So, the questions.  Can this be done with a web socket - actually showing the camera image from the kiosk camera through a  Channel and Channel group so that it is specific to them?  If so, what might be the steps to implement this?  What might be other ways of doing this?  We are using a camera so there is no red line or light to line up with the QR code on their phone.  Want to help the users get it right.
TIA,
Ron

Bruce

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Binary data on web sockets
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2024, 10:55:33 PM »
Hi Ron,

>> I would like the user to be able to see the barcode scan on their cell phone so that they can see that the QR code is in the view of the camera to read the barcode.

So you want the camera on the kiosk to send a live video feed to the server, then the server send a live video feed to the phone, which is then displayed on the phone, which would then appear as part of the image being scanned by the reader (hoping to not confuse it now there are 2 QR codes on the screen)...

all while the user both looks at the screen, and faces the QR code to the reader at the same time....

I think this has a simple answer.

no. For so many reasons... no.

Bruce