NetTalk Central

Author Topic: SOLVED - Can NT Server coexist with TSPlus getting Let's Encrypt  (Read 699 times)

Poul Jensen

• View Profile
    • Email
SOLVED - Can NT Server coexist with TSPlus getting Let's Encrypt
« on: November 10, 2023, 04:15:00 AM »
Hello,

Can a NT server coexist with TSplus so both are getting a Let's Encrypt certificate? 
I do not think this is possible, since only one server can use port 80 to pick up the certificate. 

So can NT Server use a certificate that TSPlus is picking up?

tia

/Poul
« Last Edit: January 12, 2024, 08:37:37 AM by Poul Jensen »

Bruce

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Can NT Server coexist with TSPlus getting Let's Encrypt
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2023, 11:24:10 PM »
Hi Poul,

>> I do not think this is possible, since only one server can use port 80 to pick up the certificate. 

You underestimate how cunning NetTalk is!
However I'll preface by saying that I've no idea if they will actually co-exist - it'll depend on how cunning the TS Plus server is.

In the NetTalk setup there's a setting there "Acme Web Folder". Typically this is your web folder, and you listen on port 80.
But it _could_ be any folder on the drive, and so you could point to the "TS PLus server web folder". The challenge file is create there, LE connects to Port 80 to get the file and (hopefully) the TS Plus server serves it.

In other words it doesn't matter who is listening on port 80 (it doesn't have you be _your_ server) as long as the file is supplied to LE when it is requested.

This approach is used a lot when there are multiple NT Web servers on the same machine, or a mix of servers like IIS, Apache or NgineX.

It's technically possible for TS Plus to suppress serving this file, but hopefully that's not the case...

Cheers
Bruce

Poul Jensen

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Can NT Server coexist with TSPlus getting Let's Encrypt
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2023, 11:04:20 PM »
Thanks Bruce,

Time for a test.

/Poul

Poul Jensen

• View Profile