NetTalk Central

Author Topic: API Client (NT 12.19) not communicating  (Read 1671 times)

jking

• View Profile
    • Email
API Client (NT 12.19) not communicating
« on: July 22, 2021, 11:51:20 AM »
Hello everyone,

I have a NT 12.19 server app with three built in API Client procedures.  These work as expected on my local machine, each API Client doing it's thing.  I moved the app out to a test sever in Australia.  This is a bare bones Windows Server 2019 Standard virtual server.  The NT Server App runs fine and I can log into it from my browser.  However, the API Clients don't seem to be connecting.  All I get is a blank window, see the attached image.
     I can ping the addresses and IP's that the API's target.  I have ports 80 and 443 open in and out.  I tried turning off the Windows firewall.  Still, the API Clients don't work.  Have I missed something?

Thanks,

Jeff King

Jane

• Expert on nothing with opinions on everything.
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: API Client (NT 12.19) not communicating
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2021, 03:35:49 PM »
FWIW, I can't even get a header response from https://ausmkd.dcisionrt.com/

Maybe the client's IP needs to be whitelisted?

jking

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2021, 04:24:36 PM »
Jane,

Thanks for the follow up.  I have had the server down trying other things.  Please feel free to try again.
As for the whitelisting, I am able to ping the API target Domain Names/IPs.  Would that be possible if the client IPs needed to be whitelisted?

Thanks,

Jeff

Jane

• Expert on nothing with opinions on everything.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2021, 05:27:54 PM »
Ah.  I thought the https://ausmkd.dcisionrt.com/  link was to the API.  I can connect to it now.

Sure it's possible to PING (which uses ICMP ) successfully and not be able to connect.  (If you click the Ban button on your webserver, for example, that just tells the NT webserver not to respond; Windows will still happily reply to the PING unless the firewall blocks it.) 

(As I also work with medical software I'm aware of how often whitelisting is used.  One of our 340B third party administrators just emailed us today that they're switching to a new admin system and we'll need to whitelist any IPs that need to be able to access it.)   Just a thought...

Maybe upload the netdemo.exe example program to your server and use the webClient procedure to try to connect to the API.  The logs may give you some insight as to what's happening.

Jane

jking

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2021, 06:01:28 PM »
Jane,

I'll try the netdemo app tomorrow.  As always, thanks for your help.

Jeff

jking

• View Profile
    • Email
Solved!! -Re: API Client (NT 12.19) not communicating
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2021, 07:10:29 PM »
Stupid me, forgot to copy the dh2048.pem and caroot.pem files to the server.  Amazing how things work when you do it correctly!

Thanks,

Jeff