NetTalk Central

Author Topic: _bidv_ in URLs generate by custom scripts  (Read 3604 times)

CaseyR

• View Profile
    • Email
_bidv_ in URLs generate by custom scripts
« on: December 07, 2017, 11:41:18 AM »
Hi,

I have a form that uses an instance of a custom javascript to generate a series of URLs in a graphical display.  The URLs all call the same form but with different record sets.  Works nicely with the old FormProcedure?TablePrefix__Field=Value approach.  The script includes the NetWebServerWorker and uses it extensively. p_web.AddBrowseValue('FormProcedure','Table',UniqueKey,Value) creates a _bidv_ for the URL, but the _bdiv_ does not translate back into a passed Value in the receiving Form.   The forms and the script explicity open the table in question.  _bidv_ works fine for customized buttons and links within the NT templates

Not concerned from a security perspective (unique value is a randomized string, and the record information is not attractive to anyone anyway), but I noticed the old approach will be deprecated at sometime so would like to get ahead of the issue. 

If there is no immediate answer, is there a good place to put trace statements to track it down?

Many thanks.

Bruce

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: _bidv_ in URLs generate by custom scripts
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2017, 10:44:07 PM »
Hi Casey,

I'm not sure if I understand the question. (And I don't think at this point you need to worry about the "old way" being deprecated.)

>> p_web.AddBrowseValue('FormProcedure','Table',UniqueKey,Value) creates a _bidv_ for the URL, but the _bdiv_ does not translate back into a passed Value in the receiving Form.

I would need to see an example of what you are doing to really comment. It's hard to really follow what is happening here in the abstract.

>> If there is no immediate answer, is there a good place to put trace statements to track it down?

Absolutely. In NetWeb.clw you're looking a the AddBrowseValue creating the bidv and storing it in a queue, and GetBrowseValue reading it back. So I'd debug by inspecting those 2 to make sure everything matches up.

Cheers
Bruce

CaseyR

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2017, 10:15:16 AM »
Hi, Bruce

Did some traces in AddBrowseValue and GetBrowseValue. Saw the values go into the BrowseValue queue but couldn't get them out.  Since the old approach of passing the value is adequate and not in danger of being deprecated I am going to leave it at that.

If there comes a time when you need to deprecate it,  could you consider adding additional AddBrowseValue and GetBrowseValue methods that just have the target procedure and source string for the bidv as parameters.  Thanks. 

CaseyR

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2019, 04:38:20 PM »
On the off chance that anyone has been encountering this problem, this issue has been resolved with NT11.15 (multi-tab hyperlinks).