NetTalk Central

Author Topic: SSL Certificates and many domains  (Read 2801 times)

bshields

• View Profile
    • Inhabit
    • Email
SSL Certificates and many domains
« on: November 27, 2018, 03:54:50 PM »
Hi All,

Does anyone know what the limit on number of ssl certificates NT10 supports?

I have a NT10 web server that hosts many websites. They are just normal websites (not NT apps, but normal websites with a type of scripting language built within NT/Clarion) served via NT.

Its time I move them all to SSL. However, from memory NT supports a finite number of certificates. Is it a number or a string length, I just need to know to see if its going to work for me, given the number of websites this server is hosting.

Also, does anyone know a way to force nettalk to support ssl and non-ssl at the same time when multiple domains are used (some ssl some not). As soon as I turn on the SSL server and provide a hostname, if a domain doesn't match any hostnames, NT still tries to redirect to SSL and obviously this doesn't work as this domain doesnt support SSL.

If the limit is low (say less than 100), does NT11 support more? With NT11 do I get more granular control of domains and ssl (the hostname stuff appears to be down within the no-source code part of NT).

Regards
Bill

Bruce

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: SSL Certificates and many domains
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2018, 10:27:21 PM »
Hi Bill,

>> Is it a number or a string length ?

I'd say the only limit I can think of is perhaps the string length of the set:domains variable (on the window). Currently the length of that is 2K, but obviously could be larger.

That ultimately ends up in Net:SimpleSSLCertificateOptionsType.CertificateFile which has a size of NET:SSLListStringSize (currently 4K). (This _includes_ the path to the file though, so keep the certificates path short for maximum number of certs.)
Again, if this proved to be an issue, the field could be made longer.

>> Also, does anyone know a way to force nettalk to support ssl and non-ssl at the same time when multiple domains are used (some ssl some not).

The easiest approach is simply to have 2 web server procedures in the same app. One listening (and set up) on the insecure port, and one on the secure port. Personally where I've had this situation I've simply run 2 exe's on the server machine to keep things simple. Then the "insecure" server simply has a redirect page (to the secure address) for those sites that need it, and they server the actual site if not.
(Very quickly it becomes "why not just make them all secure?")

>> If the limit is low (say less than 100), does NT11 support more?

I can extend the limits (they are arbitrary) but yes, that would happen in NT11.

>> With NT11 do I get more granular control of domains and ssl (the hostname stuff appears to be down within the no-source code part of NT).

There's no difference (I can think of) between NT10 and 11 with regard to this - but I'm not sure the code you are wanting to add is in the non-source code. I _think_ you can do what you want in the server itself. But perhaps it's best if you give an example of the kind of granularity you are looking for - specifically - and I can give a suggestion for that?

cheers
Bruce

bshields

• View Profile
    • Inhabit
    • Email
Re: SSL Certificates and many domains
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2018, 03:40:07 AM »
Hi Bruce,

Thanks, I should be able to make that work.

I use the two servers method in another system... I should have though of that.

Thanks

Bill