NetTalk Central

Author Topic: Sequence of name-resolving  (Read 2546 times)

Wolfgang Orth

• View Profile
    • oData Wolfgang Orth
Sequence of name-resolving
« on: February 21, 2018, 01:58:46 AM »
Hello Bruce and all others,

i work on my SOAP-Webserver, that gets accessed from a Clarion-program as the webclient. In most cases this webclient is in the same network (hospital) as the server. So in most of these cases the IP-Address of the server is sufficient to be known by the client. The appropriate address once got selected from a drown-down during the initial setup. This drop-down got filled from a queue, provided by Nettalk.

In addition I also offer the ability to store a WAN-address for clients located outside the network. Like home-offices. This could be an public IP-Address or a symbolic address.

Both addresses are store in the INI of the client.

The clients first attempt to connec is via the LAN-address. If not successful, then because the client sits outside the LAN and a second attempt, now with the WAN-address is done. Works fine so far.

However, in one hospital I learned now, that they prefer to provide a symbolic address to the internal LAN-IP-Address.

So, when I now add this third address to my INI, I think I change my logic like this:

• WAN-address
    if not successful
  • symbolic LAN-address
    and, if still no connect has happened, the client then tries the
  • LAN-IP-Address

I am sure that this will work technically, but my concern is to call a public WAN-address from inside a LAN.

Would this "detour" have any negative impact on the communication performance between client and server?

I thought I better ask......

Thanks in advance
Wolfgang

Bruce

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Sequence of name-resolving
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2018, 01:28:17 AM »
>> but my concern is to call a public WAN-address from inside a LAN.

on some networks this will work (which is good, since then the certificate is correct) on some it will fail, so your fallback is a good idea.

cheers
Bruce