NetTalk Central

Author Topic: WebSource Timer Issue  (Read 4420 times)

de la Rosa

• View Profile
    • Email
WebSource Timer Issue
« on: October 18, 2015, 10:23:03 PM »
Hi,

The Nettalk book discourages on using Timer in WebSource procedure, Is there any particular reason why?

Lately, I have been experiencing "program stopped responding" errors  or hangs that seems to be related to the number of sessions on a form with 3 variables updated by WebSource Timers on Nettalk 7.39, They are updating at intervals of a minimum of 15 secs to 1.5 mins reading off values from Firebird backend using PROP:SQL. I have been using them before with no issues until lately. Not really sure if it's related to upgrade of C9,Nettalk or Browser issues. However, disabling the timers stopped the errors from occurring. Stoppage can happen once or twice within an 8 hour period ,however chances are, it happens during the later half.

Thanks,
Vic

MyBrainIsFull

• View Profile
Re: WebSource Timer Issue
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2015, 02:16:08 AM »
Hi Vic, from memory I think Bruce warned of the users going home and leaving the page open, so that potentially many users could be hammering the server with timers set to a second overnight or for days. But your time period seems acceptable.
Are you able to put both NT 7-39 version and your "C9 Nettalk" up on a laptop to determine this?

OR

If you make your app into a DLL you could quickly run it with MultiSite (59) example which already has the NT's ability to show you stats built into it. 
See http://www.capesoft.com/ftp/public/webinars/UG_NT030_20140807_NetTalkUserGroupMeeting30.wmv   at apx 45 mins

IE in less than an hour you could be monitoring hits / threads / sessions etc.
see image below

Please post any questions

[attachment deleted by admin]

de la Rosa

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2015, 06:44:15 PM »
Now that you mentioned it, I guess I'd upgrade first to NT9 and see, Thanks

Bruce

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2015, 11:08:52 PM »
>> The Nettalk book discourages on using Timer in WebSource procedure, Is there any particular reason why?

As Kevin says, you have to divide the time period by the number of users. So you may have it set as say 2 minutes (which seems like a long time) but if you have 120 users on the page then that translates to 1 request per second. As you do the math you'll find that timers don't scale well.

Plus of course those requests are going off all the time - even if the user is not looking at the page.
So you could get a LOT of unnecessary requests, and that may translate into bandwidth costs for your server.

Cheers
Bruce

de la Rosa

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2015, 12:05:26 AM »
Hi Bruce,

The thing is it happens with 8 to 10 users. AND it was fine all along, until lately, not sure if it started when I upgraded to c9.1. I upgraded to NT9 from NT7.39 and have this error looking for NetWebM.inc, even with the demo app, and this -TPL: (PBDY.$$$) Error: ASSERT: %FixClassName: Cannot find class NetWebServerWorker - . Sorry, for the dump, trying to put out fires now, haha.

Thanks,
Vic

Bruce

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2015, 01:39:02 AM »
Vic - email me and I'll send you the files.
But please note that NT9 is in Alpha - for production stuff you should be using NT8.
(If you have NT 9, and you need the NT8 Safe Key then email me for that as well.)

cheers
Bruce

Bruce

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2015, 01:12:46 AM »
Vic,

My reply to your email bounced;

vic@smartqsys.com
    host mail.smartqsys.com [203.116.95.225]
    SMTP error from remote mail server after RCPT TO:<vic@smartqsys.com>:
    550 <vic@smartqsys.com> No such user here

cheers
Bruce

de la Rosa

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2015, 03:31:11 PM »
Hi Bruce,

Our mail system went down, please resend to vicdlr@gmail.com instead.

Thanks,
Vic

Bruce

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2015, 05:30:15 AM »
done