NetTalk Central

Author Topic: Delete Child Records  (Read 1983 times)

broche

• View Profile
    • Email
Delete Child Records
« on: March 06, 2015, 08:45:20 AM »
CL 9.1
NT 8.34

From the delete button on a browse I want to delete or not some child records when the delete button is clicked.
What is the best place in source/embed to do this please?

Brian.
Brian

Bruce

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Delete Child Records
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2015, 09:59:57 PM »
Hi Brian,

In the spirit of learning I'm going to describe the process you would take to figure this out, rather than the end result. (If you want to confirm the end result please post what you discover and I can confirm it for you.)

a) On the browse (_and_ the form) turn on the setting to "Send Stage to Debugview".

b) run the app (with debugview open) and go to the browse. Clear debugview and click on the in-row delete button.

what you now see in debugview is all the calls to the browse and form, along with the EVENT which is being sent to those.

c) decide whether the browse, or form is the best place to embed. (hint: if it goes into the form, that's usually better.)

d) If you haven't already figured out the correct embed then right click on the chose procedure, choose source, and see what routines will run based on the stage and event. Both the browse and the form have this "event handler" case statement pretty close to the top of the procedure.

Good luck - and let us know what you discover.

cheers
Bruce

broche

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Delete Child Records
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2015, 09:24:51 AM »
Thanks Bruce,
Will do this and post the result.
Brian