NetTalk Central

Author Topic: Dynamic DNS vs. Opera Browser  (Read 15336 times)

John Hickey

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
Dynamic DNS vs. Opera Browser
« on: June 17, 2007, 03:01:56 PM »
On the Newsgroups, Wolfgang Orth said:

I am using a dynamic DNS for redirecting to a server on my LAN. This is good enough for testing and personal use.

I encountered something that I wanted to share:

Nettalk Webserver uses a lot of JavaScripts and it works like a charm - mostly.

On a form I use the calendar-control and this cute little JS works well with IE and FireFox, no matter if I call the site with the redirecting DynDNS or directly with the IP-Adress.

In Opera nothing happens wen I click on the calendar-control when I access the site via DynDNS. It works well when I call the IP-Adress.

Just in case this happens to you also.

Beside that Opera is a great webbrowser, which inlcudes a NG-reader and even a chat-client so one can access easily the Clarion chat #cw-talk at irc.cw-talk.com

Wolfgang Orth

• View Profile
    • oData Wolfgang Orth
Re: Dynamic DNS vs. Opera Browser
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2007, 12:14:23 AM »
It looks as if this seems to have another reason and it should not be blamed on Opera.

In the meantime I have checked all other machines in the LAN and from here Opera works well, both via LAN and WAN.

The difference between the machines is the OS and the software-firewall. The machine which has no proper access to the website has WinXP home and Zonealarm 6.5. All other machines have XPpro, W2K or Win98 and they work well.

Seems to be an issue of the SW-FW - although the problem remains even when I closedown ZoneAlarm.

I will investigate that further and report the results.

Wolfgang

Wolfgang Orth

• View Profile
    • oData Wolfgang Orth
Problem solved - Re: Dynamic DNS vs. Opera Browser
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2007, 12:01:36 PM »
As suspected it was ZoneAlarm.....

I replaced it with another SW-FW, Sygate (which is discontinued) and it now works again as advertised!

Some other website now look different too!

No blame on Nettalk, no blame on Opera (really a fantastic browser worth to download)

bye
Wolfgang