NetTalk Central

Author Topic: Popup Form on Child Browse no longer working?  (Read 2158 times)

springguy

• View Profile
    • Email
Popup Form on Child Browse no longer working?
« on: December 13, 2013, 12:44:44 PM »
NT 7.31

I have a form that has a browse on it, and there is a child browse to the right.  The parent browse calls a popup form to insert or change data.  The child browse also calls a popup form for inputting/changing its data.  This application worked great with NT 6.48.  But, after upgrading to 7.31, the popup form for the child browse no longer operates correctly.

Now, the popup form appears normally, and you can enter data, but when you click on the Save or Cancel button, nothing happens.  The form stays up - no error messages - nothing.  You have to close the popup window with the X cancel button. 

The popup form for the parent browse works normally.  There is no embed code on the child popup form.  The template setting for the two popup forms are similar.

If I compile and run example 25, all works fine there.

Stuck on this one!  Still searching.
Mike Springer

springguy

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Popup Form on Child Browse no longer working?
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2013, 02:37:23 PM »
UPDATE:
Found the problem.  The form for the child browse started life as a Page (not a popup).  And, I had html code in the heading field (with the checkbox for allow html in the heading).  Later in the development, I switched the form to a Popup, but did not remove the html in the heading field.  Leaving that html in the field caused the "unusual Hang up" problem.

Bruce, I assume this is not a bug - having html in the heading sort of doesn't make sense in a popup, but it can in a page form.  Maybe if the developer checks on the checkbox to open the form as a popup and the template has html in the heading field, give a warning message or clear the html field or something.  I'd prefer a warning so I could decide what was the best approach.

Anyway, all good now - may error.
Mike

Bruce

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2013, 03:32:44 AM »
I would have to simulate to be sure, but I don't think the problem was the existence of HTML in the procedure.
It's more likely that the HTML was not XHTML compliant - something the Firebug console would alert to you if you have it open.

cheers
Bruce

springguy

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2013, 04:35:19 AM »
Bruce,

The code in the heading that I removed was:

'<div id="wb_Title1" ><font style="font-size:19px" color="#3399FF" face="Arial"><<b>Enter Contributions by Envelope Number</b></font></div>'

Firebug didn't highlight it, and on other forms that are NOT popups, the same code (except for the text title) work fine.  But, it appears that if you have this in the heading field and you change the form to be called as a popup, then the problem occurred.
Mike

debraballenger

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2013, 06:35:53 AM »
I just recently went through all my pages converting the forms to popups.  And I found that popups are not forgiving at all with custom xHTML slip ups, as where pages are very forgiving. 
And the trick I found to firebug to get it to tell me what the HTML error in the form was, is to look at the console, open the form, find the link to the form it was trying to use.  Copy the location, open it in a different tab, and the browser will tell you there is invalid code and where to find it.  My version of firebug does not tell me the html errors in a popup unless I follow these steps.

Looking at your HTML I think the extra < on your <b> tag would cause the problem.

HTH
Debra

Bruce

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2013, 09:46:01 PM »
100% Debra.