NetTalk Central

Author Topic: Has anyone created a user-defined form?  (Read 2692 times)

Mike Grigsby

• Yahoo Instant Messenger - onthedotsoftware
    • View Profile
    • MyHomeAssets! Software (among others)
Has anyone created a user-defined form?
« on: June 17, 2008, 01:50:24 PM »
A user wants to create a user-defined form. I'm okay with that until I have to figure out whether a field on that form is a check box, date field, string, text, etc. 

Any ideas of where to start using a TPS file? Thanks for any opinions or specifics! MikeG
Mike Grigsby
Credify Systems
Central Oregon, USA

Poul

• View Profile
Re: Has anyone created a user-defined form?
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2008, 12:17:41 PM »
it was not trivial for me, but by using the include conditions, it can be done.

My approach was a field on the netwebform for every possiblility i wanted to expose. Include only the one the user says it is. so if it was a Date field, hide all the other variations.

Your problems will stem from updating the same value with different equates, especially if, like me you have the same fields on multiple tabs (which perhaps depending on complexity is another way to explore this?)
I solved this partly with arrays and multiple values (for dates, strings,checks etc) loaded /initialized early, and a LOT of fields entries in my netwebform, then stuffing an enormous amount of information in the sessionequeue.

You can feature creep yourself to death with this, If i was to do it again i might explore a mechanism where the users input is generating a form where nettalk tags (procedures )are used to handle the complexity for each field.

But you are now playing in Bruce's space, effectively duplicating some the same effort with a different set of tools.  On the other hand the excercise really makes you appreciate how much work has gone into nettalk. ;)

Mike Grigsby

• Yahoo Instant Messenger - onthedotsoftware
    • View Profile
    • MyHomeAssets! Software (among others)
Re: Has anyone created a user-defined form?
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2008, 02:48:40 PM »
Thank you Poul, that is very helpful!

I'm realizing Bruce is setting himself up for a set of new templates to sell!<g> So I'd pay for this one, a custom HTML report generator, and a help system (maybe EZHelp for NetWeb).
Mike Grigsby
Credify Systems
Central Oregon, USA