NetTalk Central

Author Topic: Returning fields with more than 255 characters in a Web Browse  (Read 20315 times)

JPMacDonald

• View Profile
    • Email
Returning fields with more than 255 characters in a Web Browse
« on: October 06, 2012, 07:11:24 AM »
I am trying to build a browse screen for a catalog type table that has a number of fields that are 500 characters and at least one that is 1500 characters.

I was using a combination of Last On Line and Spans Multiple Columns to get the catalog data to appear as I wanted it to look in the browse. When browsing through the table and when I hit a record that had a large amount of data in it I noticed that only the first 255 characters were being displayed and that the navigation was affected as well such that I had to hit the Next button a couple of time to get past this record. Same on the Previous button.

So I guess the first question is, can more than 255 characters per field be displayed in a browse screen and if it can how do I make that happen?

Regards

Parker

Mike Grigsby

• Yahoo Instant Messenger - onthedotsoftware
    • View Profile
    • MyHomeAssets! Software (among others)
Re: Returning fields with more than 255 characters in a Web Browse
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2012, 09:59:16 AM »
Parker, first, I am a version behind, using NTWS5 still (soon to upgrade), second, I am not a template authority by any means.

But one idea that popped in my head when I read your post is to use the HotImage example. As you scroll through a list of data, more details can be added in the HotImage area of the browse (see the NTWS example). I've taken this route a few times, and it is really very easy to format all kinds of data using this technique, including data with longer strings, combinations of data, formatting, etc.
Mike Grigsby
Credify Systems
Central Oregon, USA

Bruce

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2012, 10:03:21 PM »
>> So I guess the first question is, can more than 255 characters per field be displayed in a browse screen

yes.

<< and if it can how do I make that happen?

set the picture for the field to ''
(ie two single quotes).

The reason it's being chopped at 255 chars is because there's a pic there telling it to do that.

cheers
Bruce

JPMacDonald

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2012, 11:57:28 AM »
Mike, thanks for the idea of the Hotimage example, I think I can make use of that as well.

Bruce, I had tried a pic larger than @s255 but it had not occurred to me to try a blank pic, thank you that works just fine.

I wonder if I can get your thoughts on this issue. In the data I was browsing I set the browse to display 3 records at time. At different points traversing the file the navigation buttons would hiccup such that I would have to press the Next button one or more times to get the next page and it was obvious that it had skipped a few records. To make a long story shorter, the data in the table was copied and pasted from a PDF file and all occurrences of single and double quotes got buggered. Single quotes, hex(27) became hex(92) double quotes, hex(22) became hex(93) and hex(94). I fixed up the data and now the browse navigation behaves as expected.

I was wondering if you had an explanation as to why the navigation process gets fouled up by these characters being in one or more of the returned fields?

Regards

Parker

Bruce

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2012, 09:33:39 PM »
Hi Parker,

the behaviour you experienced is consistent with the data not being xHtml complaint. If you have "allow xHtml" ticked on for a column, then you are responsible to make sure the data is indeed xHtml complaint. That mostly has to do with encoding <, >, &, " and ' characters.

Failure to do this results absolutely in the behavior you are reporting.

cheers
Bruce