NetTalk Central

Author Topic: Problem sending via Gmail.com SOLVED  (Read 5242 times)

ViggoPoulsen

• View Profile
    • Email
Problem sending via Gmail.com SOLVED
« on: March 20, 2012, 12:44:16 PM »
Hi
In my program (c6.3 NT6) I use smtp to send via Gmail.com . Most installations work just fine but some does not work at all. I have a few things left to try ( ex. point at a CA_Root.pem file) but have stumbled over a strange thing:

In the dokumentation over HELO it says 'This property defaults to '' (blank), and if it's still blank when .SendMail() is called, it is set to the domain of the From address.'

I leave it blank like this:  ThisEmailSend.Helo = ''
I put this in the 'From' address:   "Viggo"<viggoalex@gmail.com>
In the log file I thought that I would see  viggoalex@gmail.com   but instead I see my machinename  like this
84 > EHLO Viggo-Monster

Is this an error, or does it meen nothing ?

Best regards
Viggo Poulsen
« Last Edit: March 23, 2012, 02:14:34 AM by ViggoPoulsen »

Flint G

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Problem sending via Gmail.com
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2012, 04:57:17 PM »
Viggo,

I wouldn't chase down the HELO setting, as it likely doesn't matter.  If you don't need to set this property specifically, then don't set it at all (not even to blank).

Gmail is curious.  If you connect to Gmail on port 25 (SSL and TLS not enabled) then you will be able to send mail only to other Gmail accounts.  In order to leave the Gmail domain, you need to connect using SSL on port 465 or TLS on port 587.  In order to use the SSL / TLS options, you must have a CA_Root.pem file.  So set that, first, and see if it resolves your issue, before chasing down the HELO setting.

Perhaps this reply will also be helpful: http://www.nettalkcentral.com/index.php?option=com_smf&Itemid=36&topic=2921.msg11959#msg11959

Does this help you?

Regards,
Flint
NetTalk: 12.26
Clarion: 9.1.11529
Brave: 1.31.88
Chrome: 95.0.4638.69
Edge: 95.0.1020.44
ExtJS: 7.0.0.156

ViggoPoulsen

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Problem sending via Gmail.com
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2012, 12:56:44 AM »
Hi Flint

Thank you for your reply. Yes, I have read your very good description and followed it. Here on my pc it works fine. The same with other customers. But I start getting reports from new customers that they cannot connect with Gmail.com . Later today I will be online to one of these and get a logfile with the errormessages.
Until now I have used port 587 , no ssl, no tls and no caroot.pem file. Yesterday I tried to activate it all ( with CA_Roots.pem from my Nettalk installation ) but still no success. The customers Gmail settings looks like mine.
I just don't know what is missing.
What about the ca_root file. How do I know if it works with the one in Nettalk examples?

ViggoPoulsen

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Problem sending via Gmail.com SOLVED
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2012, 02:13:31 AM »
Hi
I was lucky that my sister in law's notebook had the same error, so I could test it very precisely.
I use Windows Vista 32 bit
She uses Windows 7 home premium 64 bit.

I installed Nettalk Demo and used Send email.
With the same setting, and on the same network My version worked and hers did not. To make a long story short, this is what ended up working:

If I install (from Clarion 3.rd party, Bin) the 3 files
Libeay32.dll, Libssl32.dll, Msvcr71.dll in the same path as my program, I can now send mails via Gmail.

SMTP server = smtp.gmail.com
Port = 587
Yes to Secure Email (Always)
Yes to Secure Email (Start TLS)
Fill out username, password, From and To
No certificate file, Private key file or CA root file.
Yes to 'Dont verify remote certificate Common name'
Yes to 'Dont verify remote certificate With CA root'

I have compiled as Local. There is nothing mentioned in the SHP file about these missing DLL's.

Best regards

Viggo Poulsen

Bruce

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile