NetTalk Central

Author Topic: Slightly OT: How much effort to convert database from TPS to MS SQL.  (Read 3009 times)

Mike Grigsby

• Yahoo Instant Messenger - onthedotsoftware
    • View Profile
    • MyHomeAssets! Software (among others)
I've got a web app (actually an entire company built around a web app) that is probably going to be acquired. It's a large, well known firm that's already having a little heartburn over it being written in Clarion to begin with, but I think I've got them okay about that.

I know the next issue is they will want to run this against MS SQL databases. Does anyone have any recommendations or experience in converting a database from TPS to MS SQL using FM3? This is a NetTalk Web Server app. I almost always use LONG's and STRINGS for all data. How much luck will I have in turning it over to MS SQL? Any advice ahead of time (besides making sure I've got a good backup!<G>)?
Mike Grigsby
Credify Systems
Central Oregon, USA

Gregg Matteson

• View Profile
    • Custom Program Solutions
Re: Slightly OT: How much effort to convert database from TPS to MS SQL.
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2008, 04:17:37 AM »
Mike,

Have you used MSSQL with clarion at all?

I found this on the newsgroups and it works great.
http://www.dm8.fr/home_en.php Cost was like $ 106 US.
Try the demo , as I recall the demo is restricted to a small number of records. It made the process of converting very simple.

Regards,

Gregg Matteson
Kindest Regards,

Gregg Matteson

'Software that's actually easy to use'

Bruce

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Slightly OT: How much effort to convert database from TPS to MS SQL.
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2008, 06:39:37 AM »
Hi Mike,

In and of themselves Longs and Strings are no problem in MsSql.

However if another program (not clarion) was to want to share the data then tpically you can change the data type to something more "SQLy". For example changing Dates from LONG to DATE. Strings from String to Cstring (although this is less necessary). and so on.

And of course all this is pretty trivial with Fm3, and can be done down the road if you want to do it.

As far as converting from TPS to SQL - that's also trivial. Work through the docs, and maybe the example as well, and you'll find it's not as bad as it sounds.

Cheers
Bruce