NetTalk Central

Author Topic: session counting  (Read 2854 times)

hkalmbach

• View Profile
    • Email
session counting
« on: February 25, 2016, 10:19:56 AM »
Hello,

in the performance monitor of the WebServer you see the count of current sessions.

Is it possible to get the count of desktop sessions and mobile sessions separated? (As values in the webserver procedure)
The reason are license countings, which shoud be separated because of different functionalities.

Thanks for every hint.

Cheers
Heinz

Bruce

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: session counting
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2016, 02:37:47 AM »
Hi Heinz,

>> Is it possible to get the count of desktop sessions and mobile sessions separated?

no, sessions are just sessions at the nettalk level they are not differentiated.

If you need to differentiate then I guess you need to maintain your own counter. first thing to do would be to specify what exactly the differentiation would be.

cheers
Bruce

hkalmbach

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2016, 06:40:42 AM »
Hi Bruce,

there are different types of work the customers can do with the web application.
One part works with desktop computers or tablets at have a specific amount of concurrent licences for that part.
The other part makes different work with smartphones and they also have a defined amount of licences for that.

If possible I would like to handle this in one webserver. I can count the sessions and therefore the used licences.
But I would need to count the desktop sessions and the mobile sessions separately to decide if all available licences of each part are already in use or not.

Regards,
Heinz

MyBrainIsFull

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2016, 08:17:48 PM »
Hi, maybe you can look at the user agent to see if its mobile

see NT-User Group Meeting 92 at 17mins Bruce talks about what is mobile
things like SetMobileBaseOnAgent( )
should get you android / ios / etc

see  http://www.capesoft.com/accessories/NetTalkUserGroup.htm

Bruce

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2016, 09:06:05 PM »
Hi Heinz,

You need to start by identifying which device is which. ie you need a mechanism for deciding if this is a "mobile license" or a "desktop license". You also need something you can reliable detect. (Screen-size is the obvious one, but alas that's the one thing you can't detect.)

Personally I think maybe your licensing scheme is bound to fail at some point. As the line between desktop and mobile grows ever blurrier you are going to find it harder and harder to differentiate.

Anyway, decide what it is you want to count, what it is you can actually detect, and then go ahead and count that.

cheers
Bruce