NetTalk Central

Author Topic: How to make the root of the drive the "web directory"  (Read 2005 times)

Mike Grigsby

• Yahoo Instant Messenger - onthedotsoftware
    • View Profile
    • MyHomeAssets! Software (among others)
How to make the root of the drive the "web directory"
« on: October 28, 2008, 09:19:17 PM »
I've got a communications system using other features of NT, but I also need to build a web front end. The problem is the communications works with numerous directories off the root of the drive, and I'm having trouble telling my web app to use the root as the "web directory".

Everything seems to work okay so long as I don't try to use a folder beneath the one the program is running in. Instead of 'web', I've tried entering numerous values, like 'c:\', '/', '\'. But everything I put in http://localhost:80 in the browser URL, it gives me a 404 error. The app consists of a single webForm proc with no dictionary or data files.

Any suggestions for indicating the working web directory is the root? My next trick/problem is being able to do this on other drive letters. Thanks for any ideas.
Mike Grigsby
Credify Systems
Central Oregon, USA

Bruce

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: How to make the root of the drive the "web directory"
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2008, 10:11:28 PM »
Hi Mike,

>> The problem is the communications works with numerous directories off the root of the drive

The program can "work" with files anywhere. The restriction on the web folder is where static files can be _served from_. Do you really want to expose the whole drive as "simply downloadable" by the browser?

This is usually a massive security blunder - so it's kinda made hard on purpose.

Granted, if you were sharing a drive other than c:\ then _maybe_ you'd be ok, but it still seems to me like a very high risk.

Cheers
Bruce