NetTalk Central

Author Topic: Setup for MultiSite  (Read 2379 times)

DonnEdwards

• View Profile
    • Insights and Rants
    • Email
Setup for MultiSite
« on: January 29, 2020, 08:57:22 AM »
Hi all, this is my first post
I have watched Don Ridley's presentation on ClarionLive #527 about setting up a MultiSite host, but I just want to check and make absolutely sure.

I am setting up a cloud server at HostAfrica (hostafrica.co.za) and I want to host two NetTalk apps on the same box.

The first one will be at https://kgoffice.co.za and is for office admin on a PC or laptop.
The second one will be https://kgon.co.za and is a mobile app

Please confirm that both domains can use the same IP address, and that I won't have to buy a second static IP?

Also, please confirm that Windows 2009 should NOT have IIS installed. Hopefully I can block all incoming traffic except for port 443. Any other services I can disable?

If I am using basic authentication, do I need to create a Windows user and password for each website user, or does NetTalk manage the basic authentication for me?

Thanks in advance
Donn
If you're happy with your security, then so are the bad guys

Vinnie

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Setup for MultiSite
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2020, 12:15:16 AM »
YES Nettalk Multisite will allow two or more domains to use one IP address.
NetTalk will also handle the SSL cerficates for each domain using Lets Encrpyt.

You do NOT need to setup or install IIS on the server

Basic Authentication works great so NO need to setup windows users and password.

Looks like you are all good.

DonnEdwards

• View Profile
    • Insights and Rants
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2020, 04:07:23 AM »
Thanks Vinnie. Much appreciated.

I guess I've been listening to too many episodes of the DarkNet Diaries podcast (www.darknetdiaries.com) and I'm now totally paranoid about PC security ;-)
If you're happy with your security, then so are the bad guys

Bruce

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2020, 09:52:41 PM »
Hi Donn,

you will need to open the following ports on the machine;
443 (from any IP address)
80 (from any IP address)

plus your RDP port - typically restricted to your office IP address (assuming that's fixed.)

You'll want port 80 open because browsers still default to HTTP not HTTPS. So if the user types the URL into their browser you'll want port 80 to respond with a redirect - which is all the port 80 does.
(And you'll want automatic free certificates, and there's some code on port 80 for that too.)

Lastly, you'll create a 3rd dns entry - let's call it host.kgoffice.co.za and point it to the same address. This becomes the address you use to interact with the host server itself.

cheers
Bruce