NetTalk Central

Author Topic: PDF creation issue with service  (Read 2589 times)

ccordes

• View Profile
    • Email
PDF creation issue with service
« on: April 18, 2014, 06:11:55 AM »
I don't think this is specifically a NT issue because as they say - It works here.

I have an installation of a NetTalk server (Ver 6.51) that creates the PDF reports in landscape rather than portrait.
If I run the server from the desktop, it works perfectly. If I run it as a service, it breaks the PDFs.

Has anyone seen this? What is the PDF difference between the desktop and a service?

TIA

Chris
Real programmers use copy con newapp.exe

Bruce

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: PDF creation issue with service
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2014, 10:35:31 PM »
Installed printers most likely. You service is running in a different "user account" and hence will have different printers, and possibly a different printer as the default.

The basic clarion report takes properties from the default printer, so if that's not right then your reports come out with a strange paper size.

cheers
Bruce

ccordes

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2014, 08:30:11 AM »
That makes sense. Thanks.

Now I have to find out how to setup a printer for the server's account so I can tell their IT guy how to do it. <g>

urayoan

• View Profile
    • AZ Rock Radio
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2014, 07:19:05 AM »
ccordes i had the same situation and the work around was using an existing account or make an account for running services.

The reason is, if you try to run the service with the system account provided by windows, that account does not have any printer nor access to the installed printers.

Is a good idea to establish an account for services and not use an account provided to an employee because the day the employee changes his or her password the services stop running.

After you define the account (can be local or at Domain Controller level with proper permisions) you can set the Log On as: in the specific service tab (see picture)

Cheers @ Urayoan

[attachment deleted by admin]

ccordes

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2014, 07:48:28 AM »
Brilliant.

Thanks - that could save a lot of headaches.
I'll post back how it works out.

urayoan

• View Profile
    • AZ Rock Radio
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2014, 12:07:39 PM »
Your welcome ccordes.