NetTalk Central

Author Topic: Host App Shutting Down with Error Message  (Read 2262 times)

springguy

• View Profile
    • Email
Host App Shutting Down with Error Message
« on: February 09, 2014, 03:48:51 PM »
I have a few NT web servers running with the multi Host application.  This has worked great for a number of months.  Now, in the last week, the system will suddenly hang up with the following error:

NetTalk Object Error
A Network communications error has occurred.
Error = Error Sending Data
The error number was -40 which means could not send Net Simple data
Error occurred in function Net Simple Send

The app uses messagebox with a 2 second display, and the above message shows a "Time Out" of 0:01 at the bottom of the screen.  The message won't go away after clicking OK, and all the web servers running under the Host are unresponsive.  Takes shutting down the host to get out of it.

This problem is fairly random, but since it started it appears that it can be counted on to happen at least daily.  Restarting the Host app allows all to run fine - for a few minutes to a few hours - no apparent failure pattern.

Any ideas what might be happening and why this message hangs the system?

Thanks,
Mike Springer

debzidoodle

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Host App Shutting Down with Error Message
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2014, 04:40:49 PM »
I had noticed a similar thing week before last.  I did not have the errors turned on so I cannot say if it is the same message.  But I did have the logging from the multi host example app that showed it receiving the request and never delivering the response. 
This was happening on a field that executes server code for a nettalk client object to lookup from another web service.  Something in the log, I can't remember the specifics now indicated that maybe the user closed out of the screen before the server code completed. 
I tried to replicate the issue, and never could.  But a set of users in the same office made it happen several times day, causing the app to be unresponsive.
In the end I used this jQuery plugin (http://jquery.malsup.com/block/#overview) to block out the popup window with a message to please wait till the process completes.  And I have not had the problem since.
I am running NT 7.33

Hope that helps
Debra

Bruce

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2014, 09:52:37 PM »
Hi Mike,

Make sure the "suppress errors" template option is ON for the web server, especially the Webserver in the HOST application.

>> maybe the user closed out of the screen before the server code completed. 

Indeed. The user can close the connection at anytime, and this error is thus harmless (and common) in a web context.

cheers
Bruce

springguy

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2014, 01:49:37 PM »
Thanks for the suggestions.

Bruce, I turned the "suppress errors" flag ON in the Host app and that has stopped the server freeze up.  Customer is happy again.
Mike