NetTalk Central

Author Topic: 'Webpage has expired'  (Read 1947 times)

Keith

• View Profile
    • Email
'Webpage has expired'
« on: September 17, 2014, 10:30:46 PM »
Hi

What is the reason that the browser message 'Webpage has expired' gets displayed.  I was blissfully ignorant of this 'error' during all of the development of my first app but now . . .

This happens when using the 'Back' arrow for example:

If Customers have Bookings then:  Browse Customers, Change a Customer, Browse Customer's Bookings then 'Back' and the message is displayed.

It is not displayed for earlier 'Back's in this sequence.

Thanks

Keith
Clarion 10.0.0 build 12799
NetTalk 9.31
StringTheory 2.65
InsightGraphing 2.27

Bruce

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: 'Webpage has expired'
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2014, 03:31:29 AM »
back arrow behavior varies from browser to browser. And a lot of it is simply outside out control.

In practice the back arrow is designed for web sites more than web apps, and the best solution is simply not to use it. Provide the user with sufficient navigation options, and train then to stay off the back button.

Actually the browser pretty much trains them already. Given that it doesn't actually work.

As to why you get the error? Well the back button simulates the previous non-ajax request, before this one.Utimately you can look in the log to see what the request was (and there often isn't one) but it's not likely to be what the user actually expected.

Some browsers attempt to get the page from the cache, but we specifically prevent the data from being cached, so it's not in the cache, which is why the browser generates the message.

cheers
Bruce

Keith

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: 'Webpage has expired'
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2014, 12:56:11 PM »
Thanks Bruce, very useful info.  I will include the 'Back' arrow comments in the documentation.

Cheers

Keith
Clarion 10.0.0 build 12799
NetTalk 9.31
StringTheory 2.65
InsightGraphing 2.27