NetTalk Central

Author Topic: How to do file design to work with Capesoft Replicate?  (Read 1465 times)

skyong38

• View Profile
    • Email
How to do file design to work with Capesoft Replicate?
« on: June 14, 2013, 04:30:08 AM »
Hi,

The easiest way to implement parent-child for Nettalk is add an Auto-Increment Filed. It works fine.

Now, I want to extend it, to consolidate few database into one at HQ, so I choose Replicate. If Replicate, I need to add GUID + Auto-Increment Filed as unique, after this, can Nettalk still works?

Please advice.

Thank you.

Regards,
Nelson

Bruce

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: How to do file design to work with Capesoft Replicate?
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2013, 05:32:59 AM »
Hi Nelson,

>> The easiest way to implement parent-child for Nettalk is add an Auto-Increment Filed. It works fine.

yes, Auto-Incrementing works, but it is a _lot_ better when designing your dictionary to use GUID fields as unique identifiers. Many problems that come later on, go away if you avoid auto-numbered fields as the primary key.

>> Now, I want to extend it, to consolidate few database into one at HQ, so I choose Replicate. If Replicate, I need to add GUID + Auto-Increment Filed as unique

no, to make Replicate work all you need for the primary key is the guid. The auto-number does not need to be part of the key.

>> , after this, can Nettalk still works?

I'm certainly using NeTTalk with guids as the primary key, if that's what you are asking?

cheers
Bruce

skyong38

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: How to do file design to work with Capesoft Replicate?
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2013, 05:50:15 PM »
Hi Bruce,

Thanks for reply and clear my doubt. I thought NetTalk must use Auto-Increment, GUID also can.

Thank you very much. I know how to re-design my dct now.

Best Regards,
Nelson