NetTalk Central

Author Topic: Browser 'freezing'  (Read 2128 times)

Keith

• View Profile
    • Email
Browser 'freezing'
« on: June 02, 2014, 02:20:53 PM »
Hi

I have had discussions here about this problem - browser 'freezing'  on the basis that there was some problem with performance and therefore tweaking setting on the application but now I think that I have a different problem.

It is that IE11 intermittently does not send a Post to the app and 'freezes'.  While in this state it is chewing the CPU doing who knows what.  F5 will restore sanity until next time.

I have tried to replicate the problem with Firefox and Chrome but they behave themselves - I can moderately easily freeze IE but not the others.

So, the answer probably is 'don't use IE' but I can't stop people on the Web using it (and getting frustrated with my app) and I'd like to know what is going on and am inclined to think that it may be something that I have done anyway because I can't believe that IE is this bad :)

Brief description of the circumstances:  I have a Memory form with a Browse with EIP and am clicking a check box on some rows then clicking on a 'Graph' button which causes graphs to be drawn of data in the clicked (selected) rows.  The EIP GETs are sent to the app but not the button POST - and then the spinning CPU until you intervene.  So is there anything that I could be doing wrong?

And supplementary question: after clicking the Graph button why do two POSTs get sent - they are the same but one has 'Form State' data - why two POSTs?

Thanks

Keith
Clarion 10.0.0 build 12799
NetTalk 9.31
StringTheory 2.65
InsightGraphing 2.27

Bruce

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Browser 'freezing'
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2014, 06:32:42 AM »
>> I can't stop people on the Web using it

yes you can :)

but it sounds to me like it's a javaScript error of some kind. Open the IE Developer Tools (F12 I think) and go to the console. When you press the POST button look for any errors in the console.

cheers
Bruce

JohanR

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2014, 08:27:21 AM »
Hi Keith

Is this a multi DLL app?
If yes, I have seen similar behavior when adding a new button to a form in a DLL
and I did not compile the EXE after compiling the DLL.

Not sure if this problem.

Johan

Robert Iliuta

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2014, 10:59:22 AM »
Hallo Keith,

>So, the answer probably is 'don't use IE' but I can't stop people on the Web using it

On every web app I developed I restrict access of users connecting with IE. It's just a java script you have to put on the login page. In my script I also redirect user to a web page where they could choose Firefox, Chrome or Safari :-)
Well I can make this restriction because it's a data base it's not a web site so this is a restriction that I told them from the beginning and also they have a lot of alternatives (free)
I never had complains about this and I have hundreds of user.

Robert

Keith

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2014, 01:47:50 PM »
Thanks Robert,

I may have to do this because there is another almost full on problem with IE that I have reported here for which there was no fix. Sometimes a tab click does not result in a GET - you can click on another tab and then back to the one you really wanted and that works but its a pain.

Cheers

Keith
Clarion 10.0.0 build 12799
NetTalk 9.31
StringTheory 2.65
InsightGraphing 2.27