NetTalk Central

Author Topic: NetAutoClose - How can I change server description sent to the client?  (Read 14731 times)

Rob Mikkelsen

• Yahoo Instant Messenger - flashpott
    • View Profile
    • Email
I have a server running three applications each for six clients.  Whenever I need to update the software, I have to shut down 18 applications, upgrade the software, then restart the 18 apps.

I have incorporated the NetAutoClose functionality  to shut down the apps, but the description in the client list reflects the same description for all (which happens to be the user account that set up the computer which is no help AT ALL).  Since all program are running on the local host, the IP address is also identical.

I would like to reflect the description to reflect the client and application so I can selectively shut down the applications.  Where can I change the description provided by each of the NetAutoClose servers so I can determine which program I am closing?

Rob

Mike Grigsby

• Yahoo Instant Messenger - onthedotsoftware
    • View Profile
    • MyHomeAssets! Software (among others)
Rob, what I do is control the port by using a simple INI file that the user can change to whatever port they want to run on. In my case, I have as many as 20 servers running at any time for prototypes, so  I have a similar problem.

So in the Init Procedure of the main window, I restore the INI file:

L:Port = GETINI('comm','port',80,'.\settings\hrsnap.ini')
  L:StartPageName = GETINI('start','page','loginpage','.\settings\hrsnap.ini')
  PORT=L:Port
  L:LocalDirectory = PATH()
  Display()

After the Open Window section, I store my info in a local tool tip:

L:Tip = 'HRSnap RM, Port: ' & CLIP(L:Port)

This could also store a client name or client directory.

Then I use an ABCFree template to reduce the program to an icon in the system tray, and use the description of L:Tip when the mouse hovers over it. You can also use Capesoft's WinEvent to do this I think.

I also have an auto-launch program I wrote to manage my exes and I put it in the startup of windows so if the server should reboot, it auto-starts the programs. I got tired of having to start all those programs up every time by hand, and didn't want to manage them with shortcuts in the windows startup folder. If you would find my program useful, I'd be glad to upload it.

[attachment deleted by admin]
Mike Grigsby
Credify Systems
Central Oregon, USA

Rob Mikkelsen

• Yahoo Instant Messenger - flashpott
    • View Profile
    • Email
Mike,

Cool idea using a tool tip!  Most of my programs live on the taskbar and I use a different title for each site, but putting the tool tips on the web servers would save a bunch of time over the long run.  Of course, if I used the tool tips it would allow me to drop all the apps in the system tray.

I also wrote a program to launch all the software but it is not very reliable at this point.  Sometimes it starts them all, but at other times only a fraction of them actually initialize.  I would love to take a look at how you did it.

Thanks!

Rob